Home Sweet Home

Hello, readers (if there are any yet)

Disclaimer in previous chapter.

I hope you like Chapter 2 :)

--

Lily's POV

I walked into the Great Hall, James to my right. I tried to avoid looking at him, but I could see him staring at me out of the corner of my eye. As I sat down somewhere around the middle of the Gryffindor table, I turned, expecting to see him sitting right next to me. But he was nowhere to be found. Now that I looked around, I saw that none of the Marauders were sitting at the table. However, I was not left in the dark much longer. 

A huge display of fireworks suddenly exploded out of thin air. As each one popped, in turn, the sparks formed an image of a lion pooping on a giant serpent's face, with the words Slytherin Stinks, Literally!  below it. Everyone except the Slytherins guffawed. I should have known, the Marauders always pranked the Great Hall at the beginning of every year. Their favorite target? Slytherin. Regardless, as disapproving as I felt I should be, I knew they had really outdone themselves this time. Fireworks, really! 

With a wave of his hand, Dumbledore erased the image in the air, but anyone could see the amused smile on his lips. "Well, that was certainly entertaining," he quipped. "But now, it is time for the sorting!"

I never really paid much attention to the sorting, as after a while it got quite boring to watch terrified first years sit on a stool in silence, sometimes for minutes on end. This year was no difference. There was a Ludo Bagman character who sat on the stool for 5 whole minutes before being sorted into Hufflepuff. Then, he got up with the hat still on his head, to the amusement of all in the room. He nearly tripped as he made his way to the table. After that, however, the sorting resumed again.

After it was finished, Dumbledore stood up to give his yearly announcement. "I wish to keep this speech as brief as possible. Welcome, Hogwarts students! We have some new teachers this year that I would like to announce. Firstly, Professor Trelawney! She will be your new Divination teacher this year! Also, Professor Kettleburn will be teaching you Care of Magical Creatures! Lastly, we have a new caretaker, Mr. Filch!" An unpleasant looking man with stringy brown hair and crooked teeth stood up. I could tell how foul he was already. "Mr. Filch wants to remind you, no magic in the hallways, and the Forbidden Forest is forbidden for a reason. I expect to see the Head Boy and Girl, James Potter and Lily Evans in my office after the feast." dead silence over the students. Yeah, yeah, I get it, what a shocker! Finally, Dumbledore spoke again. "That's all, so tuck in!"

Suddenly, all different kinds of food appeared on the table. It was hard to decide what to eat. I knew what I really wanted, though. Pumpkin juice. It was right next to Potter, who was a few seats over. I would have to ask him for it. UGH.

"Potter," I addressed him. "Pass the pumpkin juice."

"Friends don't call each other by their last names, Lily." 

 "Pass the pumpkin juice." 

 "You aren't being very friendly, are you?" He reluctantly passed me the pumpkin juice. 

"Thanks, James," Merlin, no. I gave in. But why?

He smiled. A real smile. 

"Oh, will you two lovebirds stop gushing over each other?" Sirius exclaimed.

Silencio!, I willed nonverbally. Suddenly, Sirius was unable to speak. Everyone laughed , even James, though I could see a pang of hurt in his eyes. Sirius looked at me, his eyes pleading. "I swear to god, Black, if you ever say anything like that again, I'll make you vomit slugs." I lifted the charm.