Making History

The deafening roar of the crowd drowned out the siren that called the end of the match. Clarke, Lexa and Anya were on their feet, cheering along with the other 52, 000 people in the crowd. It was the biggest win in State of Origin history – 52-6 to Queensland – and they were the lucky people who could say that they were there for that historic moment. Raven and Octavia shared a look of pure loathing while their friends cheered and rubbed it in their faces. Both girls knew they were in for a long night.

'Suck on that! I told you we were gonna win! I knew it! You losers didn't have Buckley's chance of beating us,' Clarke cheered, coming up between Raven and Octavia and throwing her arms around their shoulders. They were standing outside Suncorp Stadium; people dressed in blue were hanging their heads and glaring at the people dressed in maroon as they really stuck it to them. Lexa noted this appeared to be Queenslanders in their natural form.

'Shut it, Clarke. We all know the ref is full of shit,' Octavia scowled, pushing Clarke's arm off her, 'we all know that that try before half wasn't one. Full of shit...'

'I never took you for a sore loser, Octavia,' Lexa smirked, and Octavia glared daggers at her, 'I guess Clarke was right when she said that New South Wales sucked,'

'Shut up. You didn't even know the game existed until tonight.' The entire group burst out laughing, even Raven was laughing, despite the dig at her team.

'Well,' Clarke said, turning to face her friends, clapping her hands together, 'I think this calls for a celebration. I have grog back at the hotel. We stopped by the bottle-o when we came in this morning.' Despite the reason, Octavia and Raven nodded their heads, eagerly accepting Clarke's offer. 'Lexa, Anya, you in?'

Lexa turned to Anya, as it was really her decision as Lexa really had no idea. 'Of course, Clarke. What better way to celebrate a defining moment in Origin history?'

At this point, Lexa was still more than a little confused about everything. What on earth was grog? As for bottle-o, Lexa wasn't even sure that was actually a word. It wasn't the only confusing thing that had happened that night. When her new friends and her cousin had started throwing the words "Cockroach" and "Cane toad" around, Lexa was fairly sure that they weren't referring to the animals. The only confusing thing that had happened to Lexa that night was when Clarke had suddenly started to smudge something over her eyes, and when Lexa pulled back, Clarke had simply held up the small pallet of maroon face paint. Lexa had let Clarke smear her face in the stuff, so she now had maroon face paint covering her eyes, which Clarke had affectionately nicknamed her war paint.

*~*~*~*~*

After a rather cramped taxi ride, the five girls were making their way inside the hotel, and cramping themselves into the lift to get to the floor that Clarke, Raven and Octavia were staying on. Lexa couldn't help but wonder what they looked like to others, four girls, two with blue paint smeared over their faces, and three others with maroon paint and smiles spread across their faces. Despite her confusion, Lexa was very much enjoying the company of the four other girls, and learning a lot of things at the same time. Like when she mentioned about having bought a pair of "flip flops", almost all of the girls had yelled 'They're called thongs!' at her. Lexa had come to Australia to learn about the history and the people, but she was definitely learning more than that.