One: The Dagger in the Moon

Start from the beginning

Dead, Goldeneyes thought. The whole Council is dead. The oldest, wisest, most powerful Catmages on the planet have been murdered! She felt a howl of misery wanting to break free of her throat, choked it back as Hakham leaned down to nuzzle his brother, Niflah. The two tabbies looked so much alike. Hakham closed his eyes in pain. Goldeneyes couldn't bear to watch any longer. She stepped cautiously between the bodies of the others, searching for anything that might help her make sense of this atrocity. She paused to gaze at the body of Razelle, a sleek, all-black shorthair. She had been known far and wide as The Council's Prophet. Her wisdom and power had made her almost a legend among Catmages. Yet even her powers could not prevent this slaughter. Goldeneyes bowed her head and turned to go. As she turned, she saw a slight lift of Razelle's abdomen. "Master!" she cried, "I think she lives! Razelle is still alive!"

Hakham hurried to her side. Razelle was breathing, but it was very shallow. "Help me now, Zahavin," Hakham said. "A healing spell. Quickly!" He touched his nose to Razelle's flank, his tail moving rhythmically. Goldeneyes found her tail unconsciously mirroring his. Then she, too closed her eyes in concentration and performed the healing spell with him as Hakham trilled in his throat. The jewels in their collars glowed as they trilled. As the spell ended, Razelle opened her eyes. Her breathing was labored, but her green eyes were clear.

"Rest now, Razelle," Hakham said. "We'll cast the greater healing spell soon and bring you back to us."

"It's too late, Hakham," she said. "There is too much damage. Your powers cannot save me." Her voice was low and ragged with pain. Hakham tried to protest, but Razelle stopped him. "Listen to me. I haven't much time. The Darkness has returned." She paused for breath. "It's worse, far worse than ever before."

"Who did this to you?" Goldeneyes asked.

"A pack of Wild Ones," Razelle gasped.

"But Wild Ones are no match for the Council!" said Goldeneyes. The Council members were the strongest Catmages on the planet! How could a handful of failed Catmages kill the members of the Council?

"They had help tonight," said Razelle. "Dogs. Large, fierce dogs. We had set no guards. Why should we? This has always been a peaceful place." She drew a long, gasping breath. "They attacked before we even knew they were here. It was very strange. The dogs seemed to be following the Wild Ones' orders. We had no chance. We couldn't fight the dogs and the Wild Ones at the same time. The Wild Ones broke through our defenses, and the dogs did the rest." Razelle grew silent as she glanced around at her fallen comrades. "I am sorry, Hakham. I failed."

Hakham sat on his haunches quickly, as if he would have fallen had he not. He was trembling, whether with rage, fear, or exhaustion, Goldeneyes couldn't tell. She stood frozen in shocked silence. Dogs had murdered Catmages over the years, of course. But that was a rare occurrence and generally happened when a Catmage was caught off guard by a wandering pack or trapped by mischance. For dogs to be working with Wild Ones—Goldeneyes strained to remember her history lessons, but she was certain that had never been done before.

Razelle's tail switched feebly against the ground. "The Wild Ones have done something to these dogs." She paused for breath. "They were more intelligent than any I've ever seen, and the Wild Ones had very strong magic. Something is helping them. I fear it may be a Catmage who defies our Laws."

"That's not possible!" Goldeneyes said. "No Catmage would work with our enemies!"

Razelle glanced at Goldeneyes, nodded, and closed her eyes, conserving her strength. Hakham's voice turned cold. "It has happened before, but it is not widely known, Zahavin," he said. He turned to Razelle. "I shall find him, Razelle. And I will find the ones who did this to the Council. If a Catmage is indeed behind this, then he will pay the ultimate price."