Chapter 1: The Kingslayer

She heard the faint sounds of footsteps, and the small clanking of armor, before she saw the light of the torch.

Fear prickled at her, crawling up her body from toe to head, until it engulfed her fully, and she shrank back, further into the darkness, as the first glow of the torch could be seen, as someone came around the corner.

The turnkey, a short, fat, bald man, in a filthy tunic far too small for his robust, and lopsided stomach, came scurrying to her cell. And behind him, a tall figure, covered in gorgeous armor.

"This be 'er, Ser Jaime, this be the one", the turnkey said, turning to whom could only be Ser Jaime of House Lannister.

Her fear had overtaken her, and she sat, shaking violently, not looking up, as she held her knees to her chest.

"Open it", Ser Jaime simply commanded.

She found herself whimpering a bit, pulling her knees to her chest as tight as she could, and squeezing her eye's shut, as the cruel words that had been spoken to her on the ship came back into her mind. All the things the men threatened that Ser Jaime would do to her. All the horrible, disgusting things they joked about, what they said he'd do. It all came back in that one moment, as she could almost feel his footsteps, as he entered the tiny cell, walking to just a foot or less in front of her.

"Evalena Pierce?", the Kingslayer asked, his voice deep, with a roughness to it, his tone stern.

She couldn't answer, she could only cry, as all she wanted was to go home. To be far away from the man standing before her.

She'd told herself the whole time up until this point, that Ser Jaime, no matter how much he may despise her, would never do the things the sailors had told her he'd be doing to her. He must be too noble of a man, to do those things. He must be. But now, she could deny the fear no longer. She didn't want to go with this man. She wanted to go home.

"Evalena?", the man repeated.

She forced herself to slowly look up at him, and her tear streaked face was illuminated by the torch he now held.

"Do you know why I'm here?", the man asked.

She shook her head, no. It was a lie, but only partially. She knew he was there to receive her, but truly, she didn't know why. Why she was even here, in this cell, when she should be home, with her family in Braavos.

"You are now a ward of House Lannister. My father has instructed that you be my personal handmaiden. I've come to receive you", he said, and he turned to the turnkey, nodding his head.

The man came stumbling into the cell, handing Jaime his own torch, and undoing the girls chains. She lowered her head once more, shrinking away from the man.

"Come", Jaime said, but the girl didn't move.

"I can't", she declared, as she cried into her hands.

"And", the man asked, with a slight chuckle, "why is that, sweet girl?".

She sniffled, and her eyes slowly moved up to him.

"I'm afraid", she whispered.

"Of?", he asked, and she did not respond. It was him whom she fear.

"To your feet, come on", Jaime said after a moment. Again she did not move.

Jaime kneeled, and he noticed how the girl flinched, as if expecting a smack across the face.

"You have to. You have absolutely no other choice. You can stand and walk out, or I'll carry you. Either way, I've had a very long day, sweet girl, and I'd much prefer to get into my own bed sometime soon", Ser Jaime said, "and you look absolutely exhausted yourself".