Gwendalynn | 9

Začať od začiatku

"That sucks."

"She'll be back in by the weekend. But what's been going on with you? We haven't seen your cute face in years," she over exaggerated, pinching my cheeks.

"Ah, nothin' really."

"What about you and Gwen?" She raised an eyebrow.

Usually, I'd give her a weird look, but really, I was depressed. I turned around slowly and bowed my head.

"Oh no, what happened?"

"A few days ago, my mom kept pestering me into meeting Gwen. So, I brought her with me and we all kind of met. Then all of a sudden, Denise and George came in, Gwen's parents."

Misty nodded.

I continued. "Denise, George and my parents got along really well. Turns out, Gwen didn't tell her them that... You know, I was arrested and stuff, so I don't think they like me anymore. I've been trying to keep my distance." I shrugged.

"Kyle..." she breathed exasperatingly.

"It's alright Misty. It is."

"No, it's not."

I looked away. It sucked thinking that I might lose Gwen. Over my mistakes, too.

"Kyle, go upstairs right now, and go see her."

"What?"

"Now!"

Misty pushed me out of the kitchen and wished my luck. I nervously stood still for a few minutes before thinking,

Ah, what the hell do I have to lose?

Then I started walking before making the conclusion,

Her.

I took the elevator and strolled to Gwen's room. I turned left, down her hall. Then I was at her door. I knew that Gwen's parents had paid a lot of the payments for her recent cancer appointments and all, which meant that they didn't have to work as often as they did during the beginning of mine and Gwen's friendship, which also meant that if I open this door, they could be sitting right next to her.

I touched the handle and took a deep breath, then lifted the knob and entered.

Just as I'd expected, Denise and George were in the room. I slowly entered and stuffed my hands into my front pockets. I looked down at my feet and sauntered towards them.

Gwen was asleep.

"Mr. and Mrs. Conrad?" I asked.

They both stood up. George took a step toward me.

"I came here to see Gwen."

"Let's take a walk outside, shall we?" George suggested, sending Denise a certain look I wasn't sure about.

George ushered me out the door and we started walking down the halls.

"I know that you and Gwen have been friends for a while now, son, but I don't think you're much of a good influence on her." he started.

"I don't do graffiti anymore. This community service kind of changed my point of view on things." I said honestly. "All I'm asking is for you to let me stay friends with Gwen. She doesn't really have anybody else, Mr. Conrad." I turned to him and stopped walking.

And neither do I.

"Your daughter means a lot to me. A year ago, I kind of... lost myself. I've never really had a friend for a few years apart from my brother who goes to college now. I've never been able to talk to somebody as easily as Gwen. The last real friend I had moved away when I was young."