Chapters 5, 6, and 7

Start from the beginning

Blah, blah, blah. Spencer really needed some headphones. No use now. His time was about up. He saved his work and powered down the laptop.

"I understand all of that. That's what the cameras are for. She wouldn't dare. She can't. And if she did, we'd... the girl? She's just sixteen, not old enough to be a concern. I'm aware of that. I'm aware of that, too. All right, if you must know, I have a particular plan for her – she's something of a special project of mine..."

Spencer's reporter antennae twitched. Who was the principal talking about? A student, obviously. He shouldn't be eavesdropping... but that just made him want to listen all the more. Could there be a story here?

No, the principal yammered on about this student or that student all day long.

The schoolwide bell rang, marking the end of lunch. The broom closet amplified the sound as it did every other noise, turning it into a clamor that rattled every thought out of Spencer's head. He had to remember to get out of this room before that bell went off. Now, he'd have a headache the rest of the day. He stumbled into the office hallway, wincing, and shut the broom closet door behind him. He straightened the door's picture of the winged, scowling Falcon, and raced off to class so he wouldn't be late.

#

After school, Ash found Elsbeth's package still on the coffee table. She carried it up to her room.

Open it when you're alone.

Pink, with a black ribbon and a black bow. Ash hesitated. What if her father came in?

She'd open it later. She was already preoccupied about what to wear tonight. What did she have that looked decent but could hold up to sitting on grass all evening? She settled on her good jeans and white blouse, with her tan double-breasted coat with the belt.

She frowned at her reflection in the mirror on the back of her bedroom door. There wasn't any more time.

"Ash?" Dad called from downstairs. "Ready?"

Dad had insisted on picking her up at nine, whether the concert was over or not. All Ash could do was be grateful for the ride and look forward to Driver's Ed next semester.

On the ride downtown in her dad's blue Nissan Altima, Ash's heart hammered away while Dad fired question after question. As Dad drove, the Space Needle shone into the evening sky, beckoning.

"When did you meet this boy?"

"This week. At school."

"You have his cell?"

"Yes."

"Write it on the ledger. In the glove box."

Ash did.

"Why didn't you invite any girl friends?"

"I don't have any girl friends."

"Why didn't you invite Samuel?"

"Dad!"

"Okay, okay. What kind of a name is Drake, anyhow?"

"Dad?"

"Hmph. His parents' address?"

"His father is the principal. Jeez."

He nodded, frowning. "Good."

"Ugh."

"Listen, young lady. You're lucky to be going at all. I shouldn't even let you out of my sight."

"It's not my fault I was attacked! You can't hold it against me for the rest of my life!"

"Oh, yes I can." His fingers drummed the steering wheel, then he gripped it, turning his knuckles white. "I'm sorry. I know you're sixteen. I know... I need to let go. It's not easy."