Caroline sighed, sitting with her legs crossed on her bed. "Patience, Ren. I know it's taking time, but you're going against a four-year relationship, and that doesn't include the time they knew each other before they started dating. You have to wait."

I groaned. I knew that better than anyone considering how many time a day I told myself the same thing.

"I need something, Caroline. Something that says I'm not wasting my time and emotions on her,"I said, pausing like a movie-scene would happen, and she'd show up and kiss me for no reason.

I felt my phone vibrate, and heard Caroline's ring.

"That was weird," I muttered, checking the new text.

Alex canceled.

Two words. Both from Isa, and both together had the power to put a smile on my face.

"Call her," Caroline told me. It seemed we'd both been sent the message.

I didn't think twice about her advice, already dialing Isa's number. I sent a silent thank-you to the universe for the message to keep fighting for her.

"Hey," Isa said, sounding sad.

"What happened?" I asked, the brief moment of elation fading at her tone.

"He got sick and is now drugged up. He called saying he's sorry he missed my birthday. Then his roommate apologized and said Alex was probably not going to feel up to doing anything for a couple of days."

I frowned, trying to find a good response. All I wanted to do was find the bug that Alex had, give it an air hug, and then thank the med company for creating whatever Alex took. But at the same time, I wanted him to be fine so Isa wouldn't sound this upset.

"What could possibly make him so sick he ends up that high?" I asked, going for a route that steered away from both those thoughts. I watched as Caroline's mouth fell open and she actually slapped her forehead with her palm.

"Who the hell knows?" Isa asked, suddenly angry. "I'm so sick of all this. Missing calls, texts, this. Maybe its not his fault, but I'm mad, you know?"

Caroline caught my attention again, mouthing the words "This is your chance", and my eyes widened. This was the sign I'd wanted, this was the exact thing I needed to fight even harder for her.

Who knew this kind of thing really happened?

"I get it, Isa, just breathe. Why don't we take the day off and I'll let you force me to watch those shitty girly movies?" I suggested, the idea forming easily.

Caroline nodded, giving me a thumbs up and a relieved smile. I rolled my eyes at her. There was no way I was going to screw this up.

"Why not? I have some chick-flicks that would be fun to make you sit through," Isa agreed, and I grinned at Caroline.

"Sounds like torture. Lets do this. I do want at least one action movie today though,"I warned.

Isa laughed, the sound echoing in my head. I'd actually cheered her up, that had to count for something. "Fair enough. I'm bringing a shitload of ice-cream too, so be prepared for waterworks and binging."

I sighed dramatically. "Guess I'll get tissues and extra shirts," I said, acting as though it was a horrible thing to have to do. But as long as she was with me, and not Alex, I didn't care.

Well, I did. But I'd suffer through it.

"Yeah, yeah, see you in about an hour," Isa laughed.

"Sounds good. See you then." I hung up, looking at Caroline. "Did I do good?" I asked.