“Hello Liam,” I said without looking into the caller ID.

How did you know it was me?” he asked with a deep chuckle.

“You always call when I get home from the graveyard to try and distract me with band business. You’re almost as transparent as Chris when he leaves those fruit baskets on the porch right after I get back.” 

Have you talked to him in a while?” I groaned not wanting to wade through the topic of my birth father. He had hurt my sister who meant the world to me. We were civil and once a year I attended dinner with him, but that was the extent of our relationship. 

“Chris and I have come to an understanding. He let me have a wonderful life with loving parents and an aunt. I will be forever thankful for that, but his actions afterwards were wrong. We are slowly working on things, but Kimberly and my career are my priorities.”

Speaking of your career I wanted to go over the set list for tomorrow,” Liam said. I groaned. After working a few years at reception I was promoted to become a personal assistant to the boys. And just last week I was promoted to being their road manager. We had a tour that started tomorrow, and Liam was obsessed with every little detail. To be truthful the only reason I was promoted is because the record label couldn’t find anyone who could deal with their craziness.

“Liam we went over this a billion times already,” I shot back. “I have a double date with Harry and Kimberly and Zayn in twenty minutes. I don’t have time for this. Call your personal assistant.”

“Hunter said if I called him one more time while he is working at the café he will fill my bed with spoons.” I laughed wholeheartedly. Once Kimberly started going to college Hunter had been filling in for her at the café. He was also the lad’s newest personal assistant. He loved the lads, but he was starting to see their faults now. I promised him that he wouldn’t have to sleep on their bus for the tour. I felt it was safer for everyone involved.

“Then maybe you need to give in and realize everything will be fine. Why don’t you and Niall go out and do something? Louis has a date with that Eleanor girl. It’s time you and Niall found someone.”

I heard that!” Niall shouted out in the background of the phone.

Niall get off the other line!” Liam whined. They continued to bicker, and I hung up knowing they didn’t need me for their argument. Twenty minutes later Harry and I walked into Mike and Kristi’s café arm in arm searching for my sister and her boyfriend. They had agreed to meet us here at the café most likely because Kimberly kept a watchful older sister eye on Hunter as much as possible. Plus Mike and Kristi never made her pay for anything. They always said she was like the daughter they never had.

“Linnea! Linnea! I have the best news!” Hunter called out bouncing on his toes from his spot at the register. We walked over and I chuckled as Mike sighed taking out the order Hunter had abandoned on the counter. 

“So what’s the news?” I asked leaning on the counter. I had to snap my fingers, but Hunter finally turned back to face me. “Stop staring at the cute boys that come in. It will creep people out.”

“I get lots of phone numbers thank you very much,” Hunter snapped. “Anyway my good news will have to be celebrated when we return from the tour in three months. I’m being adopted!”

“You’re twenty,” Zayn said appearing out of nowhere with Kimberly by his side. “Who would adopt you?”

“Us,” Kristi said wrapping an arm around Hunter’s shoulder. “Although Mike might reconsider it if you keep lazing off to talk to friends or flirt with cute boys.”