Chapter 5 - Guests of Lord Quinn

Music - All My Life - Thirsty Merc

Chapter 5 - Guests of Lord Quinn

“Charles,” the gentle reprimanding voice came from beyond his other shoulder.  “You promised!  These are our guests.  They are not from this Kingdom and know not of your reputation.”

His Mother leaned around him and smiled gently at me, “I am sorry my Dear, I would have warned you but after the visit of Lady Grace he gave me his word he would show more manners to our next guests.”  

She turned to Lord Quinn and gave him another scowl although she failed to hide the smile as she did.  He just laughed heartily.

“Lady Grace was deserving of her treatment.   Whereas Lady Francis is a different matter entirely, I shall enjoy her company immensely.”

“My Son, no Lady deserved that, I fear Lady Grace will never be the same.”

“Yes, no ‘Lady’ does deserve that,” he scoffed, “and one can only hope that Lady Grace will never be the same.”

“My Son, you must learn restraint.”

“Mother, do not ruin my fun,” he said in an exasperated voice, “After all Lady Francis is unlike any other.  She and her brother are heroes.  They are on a Quest for an artefact of legend to free their land from a tyrant.   I am hopeful that during their visiting they will come to our aid and slay the dragon that beseeches our land.  Then by rights she will circum to my charms, after all I am the handsome Lord, which is as close as you will get to a Prince in these parts.   That is how it works, if I remember my fairytales correctly, is that not so Lady Francis?” this time I caught the twinkle in his eyes as he spoke.

“I am sure we can round up an evil witch, if that helps?  After all Lady Grace does not live far from our lands,” He laughed now.  “See Mother, of course she knows I jest!  How can she think other when she spins her own stories of fantasy?  If tonight is but a sample of her wit then I surely shall enjoy her stay in our humble hall.”

It was my turn to laugh, his cheeky grin was too much for me.  So Lord Quinn had a sense of humour, lucky for me!   That could have been disastrous if he had taken offense. 

“Please Lady Francis, you and your brother are welcome in my home, however be wary of my Mother,” he leaned in and whispered to me, “I suspect she is in league with magic.” His smirking face then turned to his Mother who looked bemused and shook her head, “How else can you explain Lady Francis’ transformation?  Magic, powerful magic!”

“Please excuse my son he was dropped on his head many times as a baby.”

“There!  Did you hear it? An admission of guilt!” He laughed.  “Please forgive us, we rarely receive guests and most find insult in the smallest of things.”

“Hmm, yes the smallest of things, like when you asked Bishop Ronan if the silver cross he wore burn his skin, or maybe when you cut holes in Lady Ann’s new hat to accommodate her horns?  Yes my son, the smallest of things.”

“Both valid observations Mother!  Lady Ann did turn a bright shade of red and I must say the holes were an improvement to the hat.   But saying that, please accept my apologies Lady Francis, your heart is safe from me.”

“I think it should be me apologising Lord Quinn,” I shrugged.  “Thank you for your invitation. My Brother and I will be happy to accept,” I glanced back at Joel who was refilling his cup.  He dropped his eyes from me. 

“Your hall is very beautiful, Lord Quinn.” I looked around the room avoiding his eyes.  He was glancing between Joel and me with an expression of confusion.