Chapter Twelve: Duty

Start from the beginning

Rima felt her heartstrings being tugged for a moment before she laughed and stroked her falcon, who had landed on her shoulder and was nuzzling her cheek, trilling softly.

Suddenly, she felt Shaheen stiffen.  The bird raised her head and looked off in the direction from where Laurel and Caleb had arrived.  When the Guardian followed the bird’s gaze, Rima saw a huge mass of people marching towards them.

“Run!” Rima shouted.  The rest of the group turned to see the army behind them.  Shaheen took off into the sky just as they began sprinting away.

It didn’t take long for them to realize that it was futile.  They hadn’t expected the people following them to have trackers.  At the moment, they’d found a temporary resting spot under a tree, having held the pursuers back with some magic, courtesy of Rima and Laurel.  

Rima had wondered, as they were escaping, why Shaheen had looked so distressed.  It became clear when they turned to check how far behind their pursuers were, and saw dogs.  They were demonic-looking dogs with horns, fiery eyes, jet-black fur and flaming mouths.  Hellhounds, Laurel had called them, and were evidently feared by children from Bonum.

It didn’t make sense.  If demons were so feared and using such horrific creatures as hellhounds, why were people working with them?

“This isn’t going to work.  They won’t stop unless there’s some sort of distraction,” Caleb panted, leaning over and placing his hands on his knees.

There was silence as everyone took a moment to regain their breaths.

“I can hold them back.”

“What?  No!”  The sound of Alistair’s voice prompted Rima to whirl around and face him.  “Are you crazy?”

He ignored her.  “Laurel is going to get the last artifact, so Caleb, you’ll need to stay.  Shan…”  He turned to the monk.  “I know you’ll keep both girls safe.”

Shan’s jaw was set mutinously, but he nodded mutely.

“Rima.”  Alistair’s gaze flickered to hers.  “You’re definitely more than capable of defending yourself.  I’ve seen that in the previous two temples.  That leaves me to go stop them.”

No.  Just because I can defend myself doesn’t mean I don’t need you by my side.  The lump that had suddenly formed in Rima’s throat seemed to make speaking all the more difficult.

“I’ve only got a few minutes on this slowing spell,” Laurel called out, her voice sounding a little strained.

“You can’t go.  It’s a stupid idea.  I mean, when were you ever known for brilliant ideas?” Rima was relieved that her voice was finally working.

Alistair chuckled and took a step closer.  “It might be stupid, but it’s better that they capture one of us than our whole group.”

“How do you know they won’t kill you?” Rima asked.  She was vaguely aware that her voice shook a little.

He ignored her question and leaned down to cup her face in his large, calloused hands.  “Everything is going to be okay.  This is the best way that I can protect you.”

She reached up and placed her right hand over his, her other hand resting upon his hard chest.  She could feel his strong and steady heart beat. For a moment, she closed her eyes and savored how safe she felt with him so close to her.  Alistair’s body heat and comforting scent swirled around her.

Then, she opened her eyes and asked, softly, “Why are you doing this for me?”

He didn’t respond for a moment, almost as if he didn’t know what to say.  Then his hands dropped to wrap around her waist.  He pulled her flush against his hard body and kissed her.

Alistair’s mouth felt hot as it took possession of hers.  His lips and tongue greedily ran over her mouth, drawing a soft gasp from her.  Rima instinctively responded by kissing him back, reveling in how right it felt to be kissed by him.  How long they kissed she had no idea, until... 

“This isn’t the best time to be kissing!”  Caleb’s voice prompted them to break apart, Alistair's breath ghosting her skin.

His hands slipped up to hold her face once again, his thumbs gently stroking her cheeks.

“I love you,” he murmured.

Rima felt her heart stutter and a bubble of warmth and happiness seemed to build up within her.

Did he just say what I think he said?

“What…?”  She blinked.  “Um, I mean…”  She swallowed and placed her hands upon his chest once again.  “I love you too,” Rima whispered back. 

Alistair shot her a rather amused grin and tilted his forehead to rest against hers.  His green eyes wandered across her face before spearing hers, as if searching whether or not her response had been genuine.

He kissed the tip of her nose and smiled again, gently.  She took in his smiling face, savoring the feeling within her.  Had he ever smiled like that to her?  Her heart seemed to flutter again.  “Exactly.”

Rima was silent for a moment.  “You’d better come back,” she said, softly.

“As you wish.”  Alistair pressed his lips to hers one last time; it was a short, chaste kiss.

And then he was running off.

Guardians of the ProphecyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara