"To Clara!" The group repeated, everyone, including Newt, yelled as they took a drink from their own jar. I sank down to the log closest to me, still gripping the jar tightly in my hands. My head pounded with the sudden commotion from the group. Jeff, the med jack, came up behind me with a small, cautious smile. "Clara?"

I turned to face him with an arched eyebrow.

"Just wanted to let you know you might not want to drink too much considering your head wound was pretty bad. I mean, feel free to drink some but don't overdo it okay? Not just yet anyway."

I smiled up at him. "Thank you, Jeff. I don't feel much like drinking anyway." I offered him my jar and he eagerly took it from me.

"Glad you remembered your name, it's nice to officially meet you now!" He turned and wandered back through the crowd before I could respond. I grinned when I saw him hand my jar back to Gally and I tried to ignore the hurt look I saw cross Gally's face before he glanced up at me. Jeff pointed to his head and a look of understanding passed over Gally's features before he winked at me and disappeared through the crowd.

I felt the log shift and smiled in relief when I noticed the blond haired boy beside me. He handed me a bowl of food which I eagerly accepted. "How you like it so far, Clara?" Newt asked with a small smile.

I shrugged and looked into the flames in front of us, taking a bite of food. "I like the people and the jobs seem fine but I don't like being trapped here."

I heard him sigh before I looked at him. His expression was a mix of grief, understanding, and wistfulness. "Yeah, it's terrible being trapped here, it really is. None of us knows why we're here. And we don't know who we were before being dropped in here. I think that's the worst part, losing who we were before, forgetting everyone we knew." He took a large drink of the liquid before leaning towards me. "That's why we always have to stay optimistic. Imagine what would happen if we didn't have hope of leaving. To know that we would always be stuck here...it's unconceivable. That's why people struggle being runners. They see the same thing day after day with no results that might lead to freedom. It's extremely depressing."

I studied his expression before needing to look away. His eyes had grown dark, closer to a shade of black than his honey brown I'd grown used to. My hand reached out and grasped his in comfort without my turning to look at him. I saw him glance at me from the corner of my eye but he made no move in releasing my grip.

"You were a runner weren't you, Newt?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the fire.

"Yes, I was." He replied quietly.

I looked at him and waited for him to continue but when the words didn't come I didn't pressure him. He would tell me if he wanted to.

"I think I like gardening." I said to take his mind off the topic of running through the maze.

He smiled lightly at me. "That's good but you'll still have to go around a few other jobs just to make sure you get the one you like the most and the one you're most suited for. All greenies have too I'm afraid."

I shrugged. "That's fine. I don't mind."

"You have a great attitude towards all of this. How are you handling it so well? Particularly coming here injured the way you did." Newt's smile widened as he looked at me and I couldn't help but to return it. I noticed his eyes had lightened once more and I felt happy I could change his state of mind. Yeah, if he was in the gardens then I would want to be too.

"I don't know. I guess because there isn't much of an option? Dwelling on it won't help the outcome any." I shrugged and looked back to the fire. I could see him watching me out of the corner of my eye again but decided to keep my gaze on the fire. My eyes met Alby's across the fire and he quickly diverted his gaze. "Alby doesn't smile much does he?"