Prologue

Prologue

Once upon a time, in a land filled with strange and magical creatures, there lived a beautiful queen and a noble king. The king, King Balthazar of the Fae, was wise and just, but he was also feared by all. For even though the king kept peace throughout his lands, he ruled with an iron fist and made sure that his rules were followed. His wife, Queen Adelaide of the Fae, was the loving touch to the king's harsh fist. She was adored by her subjects, known for her generosity and beauty throughout the Underground. King Balthazar and Queen Adelaide completed each other and under their rule their kingdom thrived.

One day, the King delivered an exciting proclamation. He announced that the queen was pregnant with the heir to his throne. The months passed quickly and sooner than he knew, King Balthazar was pacing impatiently outside his queen's bedroom, waiting for their child to arrive.

"Sire!" A small fairie midwife burst out of the bedroom, her wings in a rapid flutter. She quickly flew to the king, breathlessly letting out, "It's coming!" Before anyone could blink, the king sprinted into his wife's chamber and was greeted by the sound of a baby's crying. His wife Adelaide panted softly, weak from labor, yet managed a small smile on her red face as she watched her nursemaid lift her newborn child up to her.

"It's a boy," said the nursemaid with a smile. She gently passed the baby to Queen Adelaide, who was in tears at the sight of her beautiful baby boy. King Balthazar made his way over to his wife's side and chuckled happily as he looked down upon on his newborn son. The baby fussed and was crying so loud that the nursemaid covered her ears in slight pain. The queen laughed lightly and gently caressed her baby's cheek, making the child's crying slowly cease. The baby wrapped his tiny hand around his mother's finger and held it lovingly close to his little chest.

"Our little prince," said Balthazar, kissing his wife's cheek. "What shall we call him?" Adelaide looked down at her son and his icy blue eyes met her own. In an instant, the child's name appeared in her mind.

"Jareth," she whispered with a smile, "His name is Jareth."

"Jareth?" Said Balthazar with confusion, "Where did you come up with that? I thought you said you wanted to name him after your father, Orion?" Adelaide held her son close to her and nuzzled his cheek with her nose, making the baby coo with happiness.

"I did," she replied, turning to her husband, "but he likes Jareth better." Balthazar was confused beyond comprehension now, but he did not question his queen. He knew her powers were great, perhaps even greater than his own, so he knew if her powers influenced her decision, it must be the right one. "Would you like to hold him, Balthazar?" The king looked shocked for a moment, then looked down at his son. The baby stared up at his father, confusion and intrigue filled his expression. Balthazar chuckled and picked up Jareth, holding him close to his chest. The baby grabbed his father's long black hair and held it in his fist, trying to put some of it in his mouth. Adelaide laughed as Balthazar struggled to keep Jareth from eating his hair, jewels, and fingers.

"Hungry, isn't he?" Adelaide rolled her eyes and gestured for her king to come closer. She caressed young Jareth's cheek and he released his grip on Balthazar's possessions. The baby cooed lovingly and snuggled close against his father's chest, making the king smile. The nursemaids gasped. They had never seen their king smile before, a cold and angry scowl always seemed to be on his face. Adelaide shooed them away and kissed her husband on the cheek.

"He's beautiful," she whispered, happy tears dripping down her cheeks as the baby placed his little hand on his father's chest.

"Yes," said Balthazar, gently petting his son's blonde hair, "just like his mother." Adelaide blushed and the royal family huddled together in a loving embrace. Hours passed as Balthazar sat beside his wife upon their large mattress and talked. It had been so long since the two had personal time like this, given the many royal duties that were thrust upon them, so they cherished the bonding time they had in that moment.