Chapter XVII: Home

Start from the beginning

"You've got to be kidding me," she murmured to herself. Of course the light bulb down there wouldn't work. Basements just weren't creepy enough with the light on. 

Venturing into the empty basement, she shown her flashlight around as to not run into a wall or something. She saw a light bulb and string a couple feet away then. Walking to it, she pulled the string. Then pulled the string a few more times. "Terrific," she blurted out, throwing her arms in the air. 

She hated basements so much. She hated rat more though so she had to know if the house she's just moved into was infested with them.

*

The moved. And she knew it had moved because she heard it. She should've looked, but she had to. 

Sairie's upper had sprung up from the bed so her eyes were staring straight at the wooden chair that was supposed to protect her from the monsters. The last line of defense. The knight guarding the castle.

It moved further away from the doors, sliding across the floor noisily. The sound of scraping wood against wood echoed throughout the room making her whole body rack with fear. The only thing louder was the sound of her heartbeat in her ears.

She moved back in the bed, clutching her covers for dear life as the chair stopped moving. The monsters were going to get her.

*

Staring down at the ground she didn't realize until it was too late. She ran into a broken lamp. Grumbling at she slacked the lamp curtain, she sighed then continued her inspection. 

Than she saw something that wasn't hers. A chest. It was left by the previous owner, she suspected. She didn't even try to fight the tug of curiosity as she crouched down to open it.

The first thing she saw were photos. A single picture of a middle aged woman with dark hair and a sarcastic sort of smile, then her with a blonde man, then one of the woman and her family- a baby, toddler and husband at her side. It made Jenny smile. How sweet.

Flipping it over to look on the back, she saw a caption. The Winchesters: John, Mary, Deanna and little Sammy.

*

The doors were opening slowly, creaking loudly and forcing little Sairie to cringe against the sound. Pulling the covers closer, she held on tighter. She could hear her own breathing now and it was sounding more like the pant of a dog than a human. 

Than something that had never happened before came to be; the monster showed itself.

It was a body of fire. It made Sairie think it was angry, being to bright and hot.

So Sairie screamed. She screamed for her mom and she screamed for help.

*

It was a woman. She was screaming for help, banging on the window as hard as she could. There was no sound, though. Everything was quiet. Everything was-

Sam sucked in a breath as she opened her eyes. The sound of train going by had woken her and she had sprung up into a sitting position. She tried to blink away the image of the woman, tried to wake up. It was still dark and Deanna was still sleep. 

It was just a dream, Sam tried to tell herself. She felt it in her heart that it was more than that, though.

*

Deann slipped her coffee not looking away from the laptop as she spoke. "Alright so I've been cruising some websites. I think I've found a few candidates for our new gig," she told Sam, who didn't seem to be paying a whole lot of attention to her. She was drawing in a complimentary notepad she had found on the dresser of their motel room. Deanna continued still though. "A fishing trawler off the coast of Cali? It's crew just vanished. Then there's these cattle mutilations in West Texas... Hey!"