Jade can't help but stare as Althea licks the icing off her finger. She clears her throat and mentally slaps herself for staring. "No, I- I had help with that. Batchi told me to, uh, to get you some," she stammers weakly.

"I really should pay you back," Althea tells Jade with a sigh. "You didn't have to do any of this."

"Yeah, I didn't. But I wanted to. And oh my god, you don't have to pay me back. That's honestly a bit insulting," Jade says with a laugh. "I'm happy to do it for... a friend. For you."

Althea gives her a tight-lipped smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes. "Yeah. Of course. Let's eat?"

x

"Did you enjoy the food?" Jade asks after Althea finishes washing the dishes. Jade volunteered to do them at first but Althea was adamant in her refusal.

"You already brought the food, Jade. Plus your family will probably have me incarcerated if I let their princess wash the dishes. Whatever would the commoners say?" Althea joked, earning her a playful glare and a slap in the arm from Jade.

Althea gives her a wide, genuine smile - something that's hard to come by today. "I did. Thank you, really," she responds as they make their way to the living room. "You didn't know how much that meant, especially today."

Jade smiles at her warmly. Althea sits down on the couch and motions for Jade to do the same. "My pleasure," Jade replies as she settles beside Althea. "But do you mind if I ask what happened? You don't have to tell me though, but I'm kind of curious, and if you want to talk about it I'm here."

Althea grows quiet and chews on her bottom lip, mulling over Jade's offer. "Maybe later?" she says after a minute of silence.

Jade nods. "Okay, I understand."

Althea gives her a sad but grateful smile. "Thank you."

"So. You told me you have a dog. Miggy, right? Where is he?" Jade asks, trying to change the subject and improve Althea's mood. "You told me I can meet him."

"Unfortunately, Miggy's at Batchi's house right now. She got him last night and won't return him until tonight or tomorrow morning."

"Oh," Jade pouts. She would have loved to meet Miggy. "That's... that's a bummer. But okay." 

Althea chuckles. "Do you want me to give Batchi a call and tell her to drop him off now?"

Jade shakes her head and tries not to look as Althea shifts and gets into an indian sitting position on the couch, her calves and legs in full display. "Uh, no. That's fine. She seemed really busy this morning." Jade swallows before licking her lips absently. "I wouldn't want to bother her. I can meet Miggy next time, right?"

"Of course. Next time. But do you not have anywhere to be?" Althea asks, a crease forming between her eyebrows. "As much as I'm enjoying your company, I wouldn't want to keep you from your more important appointments."