"You would high five at a time like this." He teased.

     "Yup." I smiled back.

     "Addie! Zee! You've returned!" Jaz's voice rang out clear as a bell as he and Aanadi broke through the crowd of people. Jaz went to Zee and they clasped arms in a formal handshake, then Jaz pulled his friend into a hug. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure both tough guys shed a tear or two. I laughed as Aanadi threw her arms around me. But of course her arm smacked straight into my arms and I winced a little.

     "Addie! Are you wounded?" Aanadi took my arm gently into her hands and quickly but smoothly unwrapped the bandage. She gasped. "JAZ!" She practically screamed. Zee's, Jaz's and basically everyone else's heads snapped in my direction. A look of horror was plastered on Aanadi's face. 

     "It's really not that bad-" I started to calm her, but then her hand was replaced by Jaz's. He stared at my arm with pure hatred written on his face, then he looked me in the eye.

     "They shot you." He said flatly, but  he sounded deadly.

     I slowly tried to ease my arm away. "It's not as bad as it seems. Seriously, it's just a graze." But he wouldn't calm down. He gripped my arm a little harder, so I couldn't move.

     "I can see that, but that's not the point. They shot you, Addie." Fear flashed across his face, as did many others. I knew what they were all thinking, What if it hadn't just been a graze? She wouldn't have made it. 

     "What. Happened." Jaz demanded softly. Easing up on his grip on my arm.

     I suddenly felt very shy and claustrophobic, considering literally the entire tribe was surrounding us, listening to our conversation. "Jaz," I leaned in to whisper in his ear. "Can we go somewhere... I don't know. Private." 

     He looked around, as if just realizing that we weren't alone and shook his head.

     "Of course." Then he turned to the tribe. "Everyone, please continue with your work. We must prepare for an attack. News of Aashi's recovery will be brought to you soon." 

     And just like that, everyone quickly bowed and scurried away. 

     "Let's go." Jaz, still holding my arm, nodded at Zee and Aanadi and we walked into the largest teepee in the camp. It was at least eight feet tall, smoke emerged from the top of it, indicating a fire was lit inside, and i was beautifully decorated with symbols I'd never seen before and pictures of animals and plants.     

     Jaz noticed my awe stricken face and laughed a little. "Perks of being Chief."

     "Fancy." I breathed out at we walked through the door. There was a large sleeping mat in the far corner, smaller mats for sitting forming a circle around a nice little fire in the middle, and the room was glowing a comforting orange, reminding me of a tropical sunset. Our shadows were cast over the walls as we went to sit down. Jaz had finally released me and I plopped down onto the nearest mat. It was surprisingly soft, and I sank down a little bit as it formed to my body, creating the perfect amount of support I needed. A small voice rang out from the outside of the teepee, I didn't recognize any of the words.

     "Enter." Jaz said all officially.

     A small old man I recognized as the healer trotted in, gave a little bow to Jaz and Aanadi, then scurried over to me. He gave me a small smile.

     "I am Howahkan. But you may call me Nosh, as everyone does."  He was a cute old man. His deep red face was full of wrinkles and he had gray stubble all over. His small black eyes were kind and welcoming. His hair was tightly tied back in a long gray pony tail, and he was about a foot and a half sorter than me. He gestured for my arm and I held it out for him. He pushed back my sleeve and I bit my cheek. It must've bled again while we were running, because it had dried and my shirt was stuck to my flesh, which was tugged when he moved my sleeve. He noticed, squinted at my arm, then turned to the others.