chapter 1.

FAST FORWARDING TO THE CURRENT DAY

ZARIAH'S P.O.V

I looked out my window at all the people that were walking by in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry. I looked down at my raggedy old jeans and torn red top than blinked, holding back my tears. I didn't really own anything and that was because I went to jail and pretty much lost everything I owned.

My thoughts were interrupted by a special knock on my door. I chuckled a little before walking over to the door and opening it to find Heidi holding a bowl and fork in her hand. I smiled down at her before letting her in.

"So what brings you over here, Miss Heidi?" I smiled at her.

Heidi was a little girl that lived in the apartment building. She didn't have any friends except me. She and her mother would always come over to keep me company or bring me food. I really appreciated everything they did for me. I loved Heidi because she reminded me of a special someone that was taken away from me.

"Mommy sent me over to give you some maca'oni and cheese and cornbread to eat." she said smiled at me and handed me the bowl which had a delightful aroma and made my mouth water immediently.

"Aww how nice. When you go back, tell ya mama I said thank you." I said and removed the aluminum foil from ontop of the bowl, looking at the delicious food. I chuckled a little once I noticed Heidi was eyeballin' my food. "Do you want some maca'oni Heidi?"

She nodded, than shook her head no.

"What's wrong punkin'?" I asked her and she kicked her feet up and down while still staring at the ground.

"Mama said I can't keep gettin food from you because you never get ta eat anythang."

I looked at her and smiled. She was such a precious little girl that I adored so much because she was honest and truthful. She always followed the rules no-matter what. I think she's smart for being a 5 year old.

"It's alright...you can have some of my food if you want to." I smiled and held the fork up to her lips and she gladly accepted and smiled at me.

"Thank you Riy'uh" she said, and I laughed because she still couldn't pronounce my name properly. I pushed my glass of juice to her and smiled.

"It's no problem babydoll." I pinched her cheeks and grinned because she hated when I did that to her. She giggled and pushed my hand away.

****************

I scrubbed the dirt of the tables and make sure everything was in it's place.

I worked at Benny's. I know it wasn't the perfect job, but it was something to at least get a meal into my stomach. I was hoping to find a new job, but I was turned down because of my criminal record. What I did wasn't my fault, and I should've never been put behind bars.

Anyways, today was one of those days where it was packed and there were a lot of customers.

My thoughts were interrupted by someone calling my name.

"Zariah, we need you back here." my co-worker Sean called out to me. I cleaned off the table and walked into the kitchen to see everyone running around, cooking meals and getting plates.

I grabbed 2 plates and balanced them carefully before walking to table 3.

"Here is your salad with extra dressing..and chicken tenders and fries for the little one." I said while putting down plates. "Do you need anything else ma'am?"

"No thank you.."

I walked away and looked at the clock. It was a quarter till 6. I walked to the back room and grabbed my purse and jacket before walking out.

"I'm leaving Sean!" I yelled at him.

"aight..be safe lil mama." he said and went back to whatever he was doing.

I walked out the shop and before I could do anything else, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and it was Mrs. Wren, Heidi's mother. I flipped my phone open and put the phone to my ear.

ME: "Hello.."

MRS.WREN: "Hey Zariah..how are you doing?"

ME: "I'm fine. How are you? Is something wrong?"

I heard her chuckle on the other line.

MRS. WREN: "No, everything's fine. I was just calling to ask if you could pick up my little Heidi from school today and probably take her to the park or something."

I nodded even though she couldn't see me.

ME: "Of course..what time do I pick her up?"

MRS.WREN: "It would be best if you go pick her up now..her school ends in 15 minutes."

ME: "Alrighty than..I'll be on my way."

I looked to make sure there were no cars coming before I started walking down the street.

MRS.WREN: "Thank you Zariah..I owe you."

ME: "You're fine..no need to owe me, you've done enough."

MRS.WREN: "Okay bye now."

ME: "Bye."

I hung up the phone and started my way to Heidi's school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zariah in the MM.