30. Shell Cottage

Start from the beginning

"I am so glad you're alvit!" Fleur cried. "We thought...."

"Well I'm okay now," I promised, even though my head was pounding. It took another five minutes of Fleur asking if I was faint or needed anything to eat or drink before we escaped out into the garden.

The wind was light outside, hazy blue light filtering through the white clouds overhead. We climbed up a small sandy banking with forest green tail grass lightly swaying. At the peak of the banking, a small fresh bed of sand stood out.

A large rock was resting on the top of the bed, words inscribed on the stone: HERE LIES DOBBY A FREE ELF. Feeling a lump in my throat, I knelt down placing some daises that were outside the cottage on top of the grave.

"You made it look really good," I said to Harry, who wiped at his face. "He'd love it here."

"He died in my arms; he said I was his friend...." Harry said in a strained voice, and I squeezed his hand. "I told him in my second year to never save my life again.... I wish I could have done the same for him..."

"He died a hero." I told my brother. "And it's Bellatrix who killed him, not you."

The two of us sat down on the sand and we began talking about our best memories about Dobby, including the time he drew Harry a portrait for Christmas.

"I think I saw him on my twelfth birthday." I said thoughtfully after Harry recounted when Dobby dropped a cake on Uncle Vernon's business partner's head. "I was on my swing, and I saw these big green eyes in the hedge....and then Hollie said she saw a really weird cat."

Harry gave a wan smile. "That day, he told me you were alive and that you had a little sister too. He asked why we weren't together—I didn't believe him."

"Yeah, well I'm alive now." I said, leaning onto Harry. I paused, trying to think of something to try and lighten the mood. "So, is your first born child going to be called Dobby?"

"I hate you." Harry said, though he was smiling.

****

After a while we trailed back down into the cottage where everyone was in the middle of lunch. Luna, Dean and Ollivander were still there. Luna gave me a big hug when she saw me, claiming she knew I'd be fine because the nargles said so.

Hermione and Ron were relieved to see me as well, Hermione and I hugging for what seemed like hours. The fact we'd both survived Bellatrix's torture had seemed to bring us closer—and the fact she had seemed to cut us in the same place on our arm.

"So, have I missed anything particularly crazy when I was out cold?" I asked as Fleur served up lunch to me.

Harry, Ron and Hermione exchanged a look which said that they'd been up to something at least. "No, not really," Hermione said, though I could tell that was for the benefit of the others. "We've mostly just been recovering."

"You can all stay as long as you want." Fleur said firmly.

Halfway through my lunch, a knock came from the door frame. Turning around in my seat I saw Nate staring at me, knocking the frame to get my attention. He still looked awful—scarily skinny with messy hair and a deranged look in his eye.

"Rory, can I—can I talk to you?" he said, biting down on his sleeve, not looking twenty—but a scared child.

Harry gave me an apprehensive look—Nate did try to attack me in the Malfoy cellar. I knew there were so many people here who would protect me if he did try anything—so I nodded.

Walking slowly out of the room to not disturb my bandages, I followed Nate into the living room and we both sat on opposite ends of the sofa.

"I'm sorry I tried to hurt you," he said quietly. "You didn't understand what I was on about, did you?"