[ xxxvi :: myths ]

Start from the beginning

Zayn had fought a little smile that won out eventually.

He'd clapped Harry on the shoulder. "I know, Haz," he'd said. "I know."

"Besides," Louis had nearly laughed, joking, "you're so in love with Ana I doubt you'd let her go even if she tried."

His mates had laughed.

Except all of that, that whole exchange, made him think of an infinite amount of 'what if's?' with most of them revolving around, 'How the hell is Anais going to react to this gallery?' God, is he really that boyfriend? The overbearing, lovestruck arse without a backbone?

What did Anais think about him? She had to like him, she was with him. She'd told him she loved him. She wasn't like Perrie, was she?

No.

Anais was not like Perrie.

And after one thought was dispelled, another appeared in its place.

But, really? Since when did Harry like Anais? Was it recent? Did he still have feelings?

He wasn't the only one. There was Lucky. He knew Lucky liked her even if she didn't know. Why didn't Anais understand that Lucky Blue Smith had a fucking crush on her?

See?

See how the cycle persisted?

It helps though, that he's now sat in Astrology, even though he'd probably rather be anywhere else.

It helps that he's got a distraction, and Zayn perks up as Anais enters the class, mumbling an incoherent, 'Sorry,' as she picks her way towards her seat and dodges the frown Cowell keeps shooting her from the front of the lecture hall.

"This is a passage taken from Homer's Iliad, Book XVIII, lines 486-490," Cowell says, pacing at the front of the room. "Now, can any of you tell me how this might relate to my lesson today?"

Zayn hides a smirk as she slips into her seat beside him.

"Hi," she whispers, shaking snow from her body as she slips out of her coat and hat and scarf that almost all seem to belong to him.

He leans against her. "Where've you been?"

And Anais opens her mouth to respond when their professor turns about the classroom, "How about you, Mr. Malik?"

Zayn looks up.

"Huh?"

Cowell rolls his eyes in annoyance.

"Yeah, Zayn," Anais whispers. "Tell us."

He pokes her beneath the table.

She hides a laugh.

"It's 'cause," Zayn pauses, eyes scanning the room. "It's 'cause all of the constellations were like, myths, no? They were stories about the gods," he pauses. "Right?"

Cowell deadpans.

Then, he nods.

"...Right," he continues.

Anais laughs harder.

"Mr. Malik is actually correct. Mostly."

Ha! Zayn scribbles on Anais' notes.

He underlines the word, too.

She rolls her eyes.

You're so extra, she writes back.

You love it - he writes, and then he scribbles upon her page, crossing out 'it,' so he can write instead, You love me.