Chapter One: Grey Sweatpants, Stumbling Fools, and a Little Positivity

Present time.

    I am losing my goddamn mind.

     Paulina had experienced the same thought many times, specifically when she couldn't sleep-like now. Her mind was blank, her body tired, but sleep refused to take her in its dark, comforting arms.

     She ran her palms down her face and exhaled before glancing at the clock next to her bed. Three more hours until she needed to get up and get dressed.

     She knew sleep wasn't coming any time soon, so she threw off the covers and grabbed a coat to cover her sweatpants and t-shirt from the harsh cold air outside. She slipped into the simplest, rattiest black flats she owned, and stepped out of the guest house she lived in. After graduating from university, she moved out of her dorm and into the guest house for her father's sake. He was constantly on edge and paranoid when she wasn't living on the same property he was on and so, deciding to save everyone some trouble, her siblings who had to endure his paranoia specifically, she moved into the guest house under the condition of paying rent. Of course, her father refused, so she simply decided to put a percentage of her salary as a CEO's personal assistant in her sibling's trust fund. He couldn't argue with her then.

     Once in the main house, she placed her coat in the tiny closet next to the front door and took off her shoes to make sure her footsteps would be unheard. In the living room, she noted that her baby sister, Adeline, was asleep on the couch and wrapped up warmly in some blankets. Paulina smoothed the blankets over her body and made sure she was comfortable before checking on her brother, Theo, who was in his room, sleeping across the bed with his head resting on his arm, mouth open, breathing loud. Paulina smothered a giggle before switching off the lights he kept on and gently shutting the door.

      There was something soothing about checking on her family members. It put her at ease. If only it put me to sleep.

      She headed to the master bedroom and knocked on the door. When she received no response, she cracked the door open and poked her head in. The room was empty. One lamp was lit, its light leading into both the bathroom and walk-in-closet. Both were empty as well.

     Worry bubbled up in her gut, and she shut the door before heading to the next place he would be at; the study.

     She knocked on that door, barely containing the urge to barge in.

      "Come in," her father's voice called.

      She opened the door, her shoulders sagging in relief. She stepped in. "Did you get any sleep?" She asked.

     His attention left the laptop in front of him and rested on her. He frowned. "I did. Did you?"

     She shook her head. "Just for half an hour." She sat down on the largest couch, appreciating the way she sank into it. For a moment, she looked around the room. The shelves were floor to ceiling on two sides, filled with numerous books in English, Italian, French, and even Arabic. Her mother was half French and half Lebanese. Her father was half Italian and half American. A major part of Paulina and her siblings' upbringing included learning all the languages their parent's spoke.

    Also, Paulina knew there were holy books all over the room, and many books discussing controversial political matters. Those were the books that were her mother's. The numerous law books belonged to her father.

     "Why are you up so early?" She asked in an effort to distract herself from the million books in the room.

    His frown deepened. "I had one of my odd dreams."