Running Away: Part 1

Chapter One: Lapis

Bright lights; I awaken and turn my head to the side. I try to lift my arm but can't. At this moment I begin to try to move the whole table by moving my entire body. I can't move; I'm held down my large bands or rubber. I lash out, shaking the table. I scream. I stop moving as my eyes adjust to the room. I can't see much, but as I can tell it's entirely white. The entire ceiling seemed to be made out of light. "Help!" I shout as loud as I possibly can. I quiet finally, giving up on being able to get out. I hear faint screams from down the hall. Eventually, they quiet as I fade into a deep sleep.

I wake up hours later to find that the bands have been removed. I stand from my table, finding myself to be dressed in tight white pants and a white tank top; I have been left barefoot. My short brown hair falls into my face. I can remember things now. My name is Lapis. My sister's name is Carson. We were taken into military custody because of stealing. Carson thinks I died. I hear the screams again. I can barely hear what the person is trying to say. The screams grow closer and I can tell it's a female. Her voice is rasped from screaming. I can now hear what she is saying.

"Where is my sister? What have you done to her? Let me find my sister!" She screams. I see guards dragging a girl down the hallway. Her hair could easily reach her hips, a dull brown color like mine. She is very thin; you can see the bones in her pale figure. She is refusing to walk, a guard's arm under each of her's. She finally looks up; I can see her cracked lips from lack of water and her enormous blue eyes. I realize who she is. "Carson!" I scream, banging on a Plexiglas portion of my walls. "Carson!" I shout again as I bang on the glass. Her deranged screams continue as she gets closer to me. I pound harder on the glass and scream louder. AT this point hot tears are spilling down my face and my throat hurts. She finally passes my window and I scream louder, despite the pain. "Carson!" I scream as I nearly break the glass. She vaguely looks up at me and her eyes focus on me.

She screams again, noticing me. "Carson!" I say excitedly as she fights the guards. Finally she slips out of their grip. She is wearing a white shirt that cuts off just below her breasts and the same tight pants I am. Her white boots have soles three inches thick. She stares at me; a mixture of surprise and anger. I step back as she slams her foot against the glass, shattering it into my cell.

She steps over the half foot wall that separated glass from floor. I run to her, taking her hand. She looks over her shoulder at the guards and breaks into a sprint, dragging me with her. Not daring to let go of my hand. I run with her as she says "How are you alive? They killed you!" I look at her and shake my head. "I escaped last second." We break more glass and stand outside on a ledge. We are at least ninety feet in the air. "We have to jump." I say. An alarm blares as I whip around, seeing a guard. I nod at Carson, racing back inside. She screams as I fight the guard. He throws a punch at me and I grab his fist, kicking him in the side. He doesn't make a sound, as he shoves me to the ground. I kick at him but he stops my leg and calls for backup. I scramble to my feet to face him. I run away as he fires shots. I grab my sister's hand and we jump. I scream. As we fall, I notice that Carson is not screaming.

     She is silent, curling into a ball so she can hit the ground and roll. This fall will kill us. This is inevitable. I curl into a ball as Carson tries to draw me close to her. Somehow, she is successful. She is curled around me, and five feet before we hit the ground, I realize what she is doing. "No!" I scream as her body makes impact with the ground. I fall away from her, miraculously alive. I have an ache in my side; I might've cracked something. My ankle is twisted beneath me but I do not care. I stand, bleeding and broken, and go to my sister's lifeless body.