“No.”  Maria placed her hands on her hips.  “Why is Dannon in the hospital?”

I leaned back on the doorframe, trying to seem nonchalant.  “Are you eavesdropping, Maria?” I drawled, my eyes shooting to the ceiling.  “I believe your mother told you to stop doing that.  Do I need to get you into even more trouble?”

“Why is he in the hospital?” Maria demanded again, ignoring my words.

I scoffed.  “That’s none of your business.  I don’t need to tell you anything.”

I moved to push past her, but Maria blocked my path.  It was sad, really, being blocked by a thirteen-year-old.  “If you don’t tell me,” she threatened slowly, “I’m going to make you regret it for the rest of your life.”

Oh, classic.  “And how is that?  Are you going to break a nail on me?”

Mira scowled.  “Come on, Brianne.  You’re not supposed to hide things from family.”

I rolled my eyes.  Nice try.  “You’re not supposed to treat your family like crap either.”  I paused.  “And, besides, isn’t it obvious?  He’s in the hospital because something happened to him.  Now get out of my way.”

I’d been tempted to drawl that Dannon was impregnated by a leprechaun, but I decided against it.  Either way, I refused to tell Maria that Dannon was in the hospital because he was dying from terminal cancer.  She didn’t deserve to hold something so important in her knowledge.  Besides, she would go around telling everyone.  I didn’t trust her.  At all.

“I bet you told Britain!” Maria hissed, following me as I moved down the hall.  I rolled my eyes again.  She was really persistent, wasn’t she?  “If you told Britain, why can’t you tell me?”

“For one, you have no idea I told Britain,” I drew out, trying my hardest not to raise my voice.  “For two, if I did, it’s because I hold respect for him.”

Was it just me or was this visit so much less enjoyable than it usually was?  Maria was such a fun-sucker.

“Aunt Jill,” I called casually, stepping in to the living room.  Assorted children were playing with toys all over the place, making it loud and all-around pandemonium.  But I was used to this.  Everyone hung out in the living room if they weren’t outside.  Aunt Jill believed in socializing.  Bedrooms were for sleeping, not for hanging out in the whole day.

“Yes?” Aunt Jill replied from her spot on the couch where she diligently worked on a crossword puzzle.

“Can you get Maria to leave me alone?” I requested.

“Maria, leave Brianne alone before you’re grounded for another month.”

Maria stuck out her tongue before flopping onto the recliner near the edge of the room and flipping through a magazine she pulled from between the cushions.  She was going to do great things someday.  Great things.

I was about to go hang out with Britain and Vincent, who were intently creating a tower of Legos, when my phone rang.  I didn’t know whether to be excited or nervous that Dannon’s ringtone was going off.  What if it was Tom again?  What if Dannon was in a coma?

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts!

“That is the lamest ringtone ever,” Maria called rudely, not looking up from the magazine.

I ignored her and picked up, hesitantly bringing the phone to my ear.  “Hey, Barone.”

“Brianne, hey!”

It All Started With An AppleOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara