The Accidental Boyfriend

Start from the beginning

Zack’s POV

“I’ll go get some more drinks then?” I ask Matt who has already finished his entire beer. He nods as I rise to my feet to make my way to the bar. I fight through the crowd of sweaty, drunk, dancers. I hustle to the front and quickly catch the barman’s attention ordering two more beers. But while I wait patiently for my beers someone almost falls off her bar stool slamming down on my shoulder in the process. Her friend immediately catches her arm and pulls her up right while tears of laughter stream down her cheek. Wow those girls are drunk. The girl who fell of the barstool flips her head around. I quickly give her the once over. She’s pretty I’ll give her that, nice eyes. But she’s cute attractive not hot attractive ergo she’s not my type. She’s glued to her friend’s side so even if I did want to hit on her I wouldn’t get a shot and although she’s very drunk she’s quite clearly a good girl so she would probably play hard to get. “Sorry,” she giggles to me before returning back to her friend.

“He’s cute!” her friend giggles so loudly that everyone in the vicinity can hear. The girl who fell off the barstool giggles while shushing her. I shrug my shoulders at the barman collect my drinks and head back to Matt.

Nothing much happens until a little while later I’m at the bar ordering drinks again when I look next to me and it’s the same girl as before on her own this time ordering drinks. She flicks her head to look at me and then beams at me from ear to ear. “Hey you’re the guy I fell on,” she declares with joy gesturing to me with her arms. I’m surprised she is aware enough to remember me. She has gotten much worse than before. This girl is very much a happy drunk and every word that comes out of her mouth is delivered with a joyful ring. I smile back at her and then give her another once over. Either it’s the fact that I have consumed a lot more alcohol or the fact that I couldn’t see how long her legs were when she was sat down but I’ve suddenly changed my mind about this girl. She’s kind of hot. “Can I have another one of those radioactive thingies?” she asks the barman brightly. He must know what she’s on about because he comes back with a ridiculously vibrant cocktail. She begins to root around in her bag for some money so I immediately leap into action. “I’ll get this,” I tell the barman handing over some money. Her head snaps up. “Fine you can buy me this drink but just to let you know I hate men,” she informs me. But it sounds ridiculous as she keeps the cheery tone to her voice. “You hate all men?” I repeat in amusement.

“Yup, you’re all a bunch of assholes,” she elaborates in a sing song voice before taking a sip of her drink. “Right well, on behalf of men I’m sorry,” I reply.

“Sorry is not good enough. He dumped me for some, some, bimbo,” she informs me.

“Well he sounds like a complete asshole,” I humour her.

“She wears lip gloss. I hate lip gloss,” she continues.

“So do I, it’s not nice to kiss a girl with lip gloss. It’s sticky and disgusting,” I cut in.

“Exactly and then when it’s windy it gets stuck to your hair and it’s just annoying!” she says as her eyes light up at the joy of me agreeing with her. “I don’t really get that problem,” I reply smiling jokingly at her. She immediately breaks down into giggles. I didn’t think what I said was that funny. “So what’s your name?” I ask her.

“Gracie,” she answers holding her hand out for me to shake. I laugh and take hold of her hand.

“Well it’s lovely to meet you Gracie, I’m Zack,” I tell her.  

“So Zack why do you think he left me?” she asks me.

“Because he’s an idiot…” I reply.

“You got that right. He’s an idiot,” she repeats.

“…Because you’re gorgeous,” I continue.

“Exactly I’m… wait what?” she asks incredulously. I laugh at the look of complete shock on her face.

“I said you’re gorgeous,” I repeat causing her to blush slightly but she stops herself.

“Liar,” she snaps indignantly.

“No I’m serious, you’re the prettiest girl in the bar easily,” I retort.

“Do you really think that’s going to work on me?” she scoffs.

“Well is it?” I ask her.

“No…,” she answers unconvincingly. “But I’ll let you buy me another drink,” she tags on gesturing to her empty glass. Bloody hell she drunk that quickly. “Fair enough,” I laugh waving over the barman.

“Zack we’re going to the club across the road, are you coming?” Matt suddenly calls from the crowd.

“No I’ll catch up with you later. I think I might just stay here for a little bit,” I call back tilting my head discreetly to… to… oh crap what was her name again? Never mind. Matt nods while walking away. “Hey you know what we should do?” Gracie, (thank god I remembered,) asks me abruptly.

“What should we do?” I ask her with a smile playing along.

“We should get shots!” she declares with the excitement of a child. She gets the attention of the barman and orders us both shots. I laugh pick up my glass and clink it with Gracie’s.

After about the third shot things start to get a little bit fuzzy and I don’t remember much. I’m laughing a lot... I’m getting a taxi home… I’m walking through my front door with a giggling Gracie behind me… I’m wrapping my hands around Gracie’s waist as she locks her lips onto mine… and then I can’t remember a thing…