AEAI 20 - He's Gone.

Start from the beginning

“That’s stupid,” he comments after a minute of contemplation. “That should be my decision. They don’t even know you. You’re not theirs to control.” With every word, his voice gets louder as his patients becomes thinner. Soon he’s standing and pacing, “Why would someone try and threaten you for something that you don’t even control? If I thought that you would hurt me, I wouldn’t even be in this relationship.”

“Babe,” I test the water. I don’t want him to be mad at me.

He stops and turns to look at him with a questioning expression, “Yea?”

“I don’t want you to worry about this,” I stand and move in front of him. Placing my hands on the small of his back, I pull him into me, “The department will find this guy and take care of him.”

His smile seems forced, but at least it’s there, “I know that. I trust your department.” His hands move to push through the sides of my hair, “I’m just worried about you.”

“I’ll be fine,” I assure him. “They’ll catch this guy quickly and we’ll move on with life.”

His smile seems a little more real when he says, “How about we go to breakfast?”

“I would love to,” I take his hand out of my hair and kiss his palm, “but Sanders is on our couch and it’s still really early. How about dinner this weekend?”

He pretends to think about it for a second before placing his lips on mine quickly, “Sounds perfect.”

-----

We decide to go out Saturday night just the two of us. We keep it casual, venturing only to a small family-owned curry joint the next block over. It not fancy, but Henry wants to try it and I’m not picky. I just want to spend time with him.

Halfway through the meal, our waitress comes by to get us some refills. And she’s not gone three seconds when Danny walks up to the table.

His face is stone cold when he looks at my boyfriend, “Why didn’t you call me back?”

Henry startles when he hears the voice behind him.

Immediately, I stand to put up myself between them, “Maybe you should leave.”

His eyes burn as they move to me, “I’m not leaving until he answers my question.”

“Danny,” Henry stands from his seat and puts a hand on my shoulder, “you should leave.”

“Why won’t you talk to me?” The big guy in front of me demands.

“Hey!” I catch his attention again, “Before you start a scene-”

Henry steps between us and kisses my cheek, “It’s alright, babe.” Turning back to the large man, he’s very calm as he asks, “How did you know we were here?”

“I just want to talk to you,” is his answer.

The blonde shakes his head, “I don’t think that’s a good idea. I’m trying to have a nice dinner with my boyfriend. Can you please go?”

Suddenly, Danny’s hands are around Henry’s biceps and I hear my guy take in a hiss of breath. I can’t take it anymore.

Moving around again, I vehemently remove the giant hands and push him backward. Around us there are quiet intakes of breath and mumbles. I try to ignore it and continue to force Danny toward the door.

When we make it to the front, I nod toward the exit, “Why don’t you just get on out of here?”

Next thing I know, he picks up a free chair and smashes it against the ground. Pieces of the wood fly and a few screeches are heard as he stands back up to full height. His chest bulges and his dark brow pulls into a scowl menacingly. 

It would be comical, if it weren't so threatening.

“I’m not going to take your shit, Danny,” I tell him confidently. “I’ve dealt with people like you before. You’re not going to hurt him; not with me around.”

He moves forward to grab me, but I catch his arm and use his own body weight to turn him around. With the back of his hand pressed to his own backbone, I lower him to the ground.

To an outsider, it may look impressive because of our noticeable size difference, but it’s a basic defensive skill I learned in the academy.

Once he’s completely on the floor, I put my weight into holding him there. The way his hand is situated will help to keep him from fighting too much. I can say from experience it hurts. It does not, however, keep him from yelling.

I look up to the hostess from my spot kneeled on Danny's back, “Can you please call the police and hand me the phone?”

She nods wordlessly and punches the numbers in before handing the phone to me.

When the dispatcher answers, I let her do her speech before saying, “This is Detective Ashton, badge number 6-5-5-7. I need a car to…” Looking up at the hostess again I raise an eyebrow, “Address?” She gives it to me and I give it to the dispatcher, “I have one in apprehension for disturbing the peace and trying to assault an officer.”

“I’ll have a car right over, Detective,” she tells me. “Would you like me to make a call to your captain as well?”

“Yes, please,” I answer. “Captain Walsh, homicide.”

“Is there anything else I can do for you, Detective Ashton?”

As she speaks, I hear the sirens approaching. Before I hang up I ask, “Can I have your name, please?”

She tells me her name is Jennifer and I make a mental note to put in a good word for her. Quickly thereafter, I get off the phone and the officers come in the front door. One lets me borrow their cuffs so I can put them on without the possibility of him getting up.

“Thanks, guys,” I say as I stand and hand him over.

“You’re too good for him,” Danny shouts starring over my shoulder.

Turning, I see my date slump over in his seat with his head in his hands. My heart breaks a little. This can’t be easy for him.

“Do you want to wait for back up to start taking statements?” I ask one of the guys.

They look at each other before shrugging. The shorter one steps up, “Drake can take him to the car and I’ll take your statement.”

Unsure, I give him a look, “Maybe, we should wait.”

“It’s fine,” ‘Drake’ assures us as he leads Danny out.

Truth be told, I really just want to give my statement and get out of here. So, against my better judgment, I agree.

As fate has it, just as we’re about to leave, Drake comes back in panting with a cut above his eyebrow. He shakes his head and then looks down at the ground.

“He’s gone.”

~A/N~

Happy Sunday.