A Surprise Around Every Corner- An Avengers Story

I raced down the hall, my toes padding the ground as I sprinted.

I finally hid behind a rack of guns and rifles, panting.

I slowly, quietly, lifted a gun off the rack and set it on my lap, breathing in and out heavily.

"You may run," a voice snarled gruesomely. "But you can never hide."

My breathing started to speed, up, I could feel my eyes going pink as tears of fear pricked the edge of my eyes, threatening to spill over my cheeks.

I was scared, no, that was an understatement.

"First I will find you, and capture you." The low, raspy voice said. "Then, I will hypnotize you into killing every person in your life that you love dearly. I will make you murder them brutally, slowly, and you'll have no way to stop yourself. Then, I will replace yourself back into your own body, let you watch your own handywork, the bloodbath you started, and before you scream, I will slit your throat, slowly, aggressively."

By this time I had dropped the gun and my hands over my ears, and tears were already splashing down my face like a river.

I screamed at the top of my lungs, imagining the horror this monster could do to me, and the ones I love.

"Stop!" I screamed. "Please, stop!" I jumped up from where I was hiding.

I heard a devious chuckle.

I saw Only a blur of someone, patches of golden and green.

The last thing I remember was a bright flash of only blue.

I sat up screaming, my face wet with both sweat and tears. My breathing was fast and heavy. I slowly fell backward and broke into sobs into my pillow. That was the worst, most monstrous nightmare I had ever had.

Suddenly, I could feel the lights turn on around my as I heard my father enter the room.

"Hey, hey.." His voice was soothing as he crawled in next to me, cradling me in his strong arms.

I cried into his chest as he tried to calm me. "Shh.." He cooed. "Why don't you just calm down and tell me what happened?" He asked.

"H-he tried to.. He t-tried t-to.." I sniffed between each word. "He tried to turn me in to a.. A killer!" I sobbed. "H-he tried to make me kill everyone I care about!" I sobbed again.

"Shh.." My father shushed me again, sympathetically. "Don't worry, it was just a dream."

"No it wasn't!" I protested into his shirt. "It was a nightmare." I whispered.

•••5 YEARS LATER•••

"Wait, what?" I said, shocked.

"Um, yeah. We're meeting them today." Dad gave me and awkward smile from his spot on the recliner. I just stared at him, fased in shock.

"18 years, Dad!" I yelled, standing up. "It's been 18 years. You didn't feel the need to tell me this in any of these years?"

"We had to wait until you kids were ready." Dad said, sighing. "We're leaving in 10. Be ready." He patted my shoulder and stood up, walking off .

"Wha- aren't we going to talk about this?!"

"Nope." He said simply, walking down the hall and into his room.

••••••••••••••••••••••

I sighed, doing a quick check of myself. I know what happened earlier may have been confusing to you, allow me to explain.