Boys in the Street

•••

Lying to your parents at 14 is pretty bad ass. Harry isn't lying to do anything reckless though. He's not smoking or drinking or stealing candy from the corner store. Harry tells his father he's staying for soccer practice when in actuality he's behind the bleachers with a soccer player.

Louis' body presses to his as their lips move clumsily together. The two boys are young and really have no idea how to kiss, but they know they like kissing each other.

"No one will see us, right?" Harry pulls away to ask. His heart thumps worriedly at the thought and Louis gently runs his hands through his hair and shakes his head.

"We're hidden. Who even cares if people see us?" He asks and Harry swallows nervously and moves closer into the boys hold.

"My father can never know," he whispers and he smiles as Louis places a small kiss to his lips again.

"Okay. We're still going to the movie Friday right?" Louis asks and Harry's smile grows more at the mention of it. It's his first date ever and he's beyond excited to have the experience with Louis.

"Yeah. My mom said I can go. Your mom will drive us home after?" Harry questions and Louis nods.

"Yeah. Now kiss me, you idiot, you have to be home in 20 minutes," Louis laughs. Harry just obliges and loves how tight Louis holds onto him. Almost like he never wants to let go.

Harry walks home soon after and is greeted by his mother in the kitchen. His father isn't home yet and Gemma is probably locked in her room. Harry just walks into his and lies on his bed. He texts Louis to let him know he got in safe and smiles as the boy replies within seconds. He can't believe how much he likes this boy. How much he makes his heart swell with fond.

When his mom calls him down for dinner Harry can tell something is wrong right away. His father doesn't smile at him like always. He doesn't ask him about his fake practice or about what he learned that day. Gemma and his mom sit quietly at the table and no one so much as greets Harry.

"What's wrong?" Harry worries and finally his father looks at him.

"You weren't at practice today. Or any day," he accuses and Harry just stares at him with wide eyes. He doesn't know what to say. Does he admit to it? Think of another lie?

"What?" Harry finally chokes out and his dad slams his hand on the table making everyone flinch.

"You lied to me! You lied to us all! You're the last thing we need!" He bellows and Harry shrinks away as Anne turns to her husband and scolds him for his behaviour.

"How am I supposed to answer when my friends tell me my son was kissing boys, Anne? I don't want that. I don't want my son being a fag," he spits and Harry wants to fall over and cry. He can feel his phone vibrating in his pocket and he knows it's probably Louis texting him cute things and sending him too many emojis.

"You be nice. He's your son and you will always love him," Anne replies back sternly and he sighs and looks up at Harry.

"I don't want to hear about this again. Sit down and eat," he instructs and Harry flops down and shoves food in his mouth so he can go back upstairs and cry.

•••

Harry's father always pushed being masculine on him after that day. Harry was pulled from piano lessons and he couldn't take art in school. His dad didn't let him grow out his hair or get his ears pierced. He was to be a proper boy. Someone his country would be proud of. Someone his father would be proud of.