27. The Lovegood house

Start from the beginning

"That's democracy for you," Gennie said with a wry smile. "But democracy doesn't always mean good."

****

The next morning we all apparated to a hill not too far from the Lovegood house. From where we were, the Burrow was clearly visible, a little pinprick in the distance. Looking at it made me feel slightly homesick

"It's weird, being this near, but not going to visit," said Ron.

"Well, it's not like you haven't just seen them. You were there for Christmas," said Hermione coldly.

"I wasn't at the Burrow!" said Ron with an incredulous laugh. "Do you think I'd let Fred, George and Lacey know I walked out? And Ginny, yeah she would have really understood."

"Bill and Fleur's new place, down by the ocean. They weren't impressed, but Hollie was nice enough about it—"

"Wait, Hollie was staying at Bill and Fleur's?" I felt as if I'd been slapped. I had at least expected her to go home to Lacey. "Why?"

Ron shrugged. "I dunno, I think she fought with Lacey or something. She seemed a bit off. Well when I saw her—always out with friends."

Yeah her new friends, Cameron and Bellatrix I thought, feeling as if Hollie had killed me herself. Even though Hollie had changed beyond belief, I never thought she wouldn't go back to Lacey for Christmas....

"She once said she wouldn't ever spend a Christmas day without Lacey," I said softly. "How things change."

"Let's try up here," Ron said, giving me a sympathetic smile, and with Gennie winding her arm around mine we began trekking through the hills for the Lovegood house.

After a couple of hours of walking and a few blisters later we came across a strange looking house that looked like a giant chess castle.

"I have to admit, it's pretty tame for Luna, I was expecting a house in the shape of a nargle." I pondered as we approchaed the house.

"Well it's theirs," Ron said. "Look."

A hand-painted sign had been tacked to a broken-down gate.

THE QUIBBLER EDITOR, X. LOVEGOOD--KEEP OFF THE DIRIGIBLE PLUMS

Harry pushed the gate open and we followed him through the zig-zag path to the front door, coming across odd plants and shrubs along the way. I couldn't help smile when seeing a bush covered in the radishes Luna always seemed to wear as earrings.

Harry rapped three times on the thick black door and the door flung open, revealing the mad looking Xenophilius, his feet bare and wearing a nightgown.

"What? What is it? Who are you? What do you want?" he cried in a high pitched voice.

"Hello, Mr. Lovegood," said Harry, holding out his hand, "I'm Harry, Harry Potter."

Nudging forward next to my brother, I gave a little wave. "And I'm his sister, Aurora. You know, the overshadowed one."

The man didn't shake our hands, his eyes travelled to our scars and I felt quite self-conscious. "Look, we have something to ask you, can we please come in?" I asked.

"I . . . I'm not sure that's advisable," whispered Xenophilius, "Rather a shock ..."

"It won't take long" said Harry, looking disappointed.

"I --- oh, all right then. Come in, quickly, quickly!"

Cole had barely crossed over the threshold when Xenophilius slammed the door and Cole almost tripped head first into Hermione. Looking around, we were in the oddest kitchen I'd seen. Everything was curved and painted in bright colours like a playgroup classroom.