Our x First x Meeting

His eyes have a glow to them, they're different from all the others here. They look... Alive. And, happy. How can someone be happy in a place like this? A place with no color and only comatose people. A place where even a smile is a rarity. But yet, there he is smiling.

Like a flower after a wildfire, his eyes contain a hope that this place is livable, that our lives have meaning.

I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't even notice as the boy turned to look at me and his smile grew wider.

"You must be Killua!" He shouted excitedly as he ran over to greet me.

"Y-yeah..." I stammered.

"This is Gon, your new roommate," Beans told me.

"No fair! I wanted to introduce myself," Gon says in a pouty voice.
Now I am distracted by how his black spiky hair defies gravity, and why does it have a greenish tint?

Gon stretched out a hand towards me, smiling his wide smile. I honestly wonder how could he smile so much? Didn't it hurt?

"I am Gon. Gon Freecs," He introduced himself. "I am 12 and I was sent to this place around five months ago! Nice to meet you, new roomie."

Twelve? Just like me.

"I'm Killua," I told him, "Nice to meet you too, I guess..."

Gon nodded, still with that big smile. "Oh! Your bed is over here!" He skipped and pointed at a bed on the right. This one was perfectly made. As usual, the sheets were white.

I didn't move from where I was standing on the doorway until I heard Beans cough. "Your clothes and everything else were already removed here," he told me,
"Consider yourself at home. Now I shall take my leave. Oh! your schedule for therapies will be decided tomorrow. Now then."

Beans left after he gently closed the door. I walk over to the bed that Gon said was mine and sit down. Who knew I would ever end up here, I think to myself. I don't think anyone ever foretold the best student of Hunter Academy living in a Mental Ward.

And who would've guessed my roommate would be so... As I turned my head to face him, I see his mouth moving and realize he's been talking ever since Beans left. I don't really care until he stops and looks at me curiously, like he's looking for an answer.

"Uhhh... Y-yeah," I nod my head.

"Oh... Okay then... I guess I'll shut up now..." He says, slowly becoming quieter and looking away. Ugh, he must've been ranting and asked if he was annoying me. How do I respond to this?

"Sorry, what I meant to say was, yeah, continue with your story," I try to cover my mistake.

"Oh... Okay! Anyway..." He begins to rant again. Something about being excited, something about it not being so bad, and then something about flying elephants.

Wait... FLYING ELEPHANTS?

I turn my attention straight back to Gon to see what in the world he was talking about. I see him having a mischievous smile on his face.

"I knew you weren't paying attention," he said to me.

There was a moment of silence before we both burst out laughing. I could tell this guy was gonna be a fun roommate, possibly annoying at times as well.

"Lights out!" comes a shout from the hallway. Gon hurriedly switches off the light.

"It's 10 o'clock, that's curfew." He looks at me and smiles,

"Goodnight, Killua. I'm so happy to have a roommate." And with that he promptly jumped into his bed and under the covers.

"Goodnight, Gon," I whispered into the darkness, so quietly he most likely didn't even hear it.

That night I fell asleep with hope.

Hope that this might not be as bad as it seems.