Chapter Two

Adam's P.O.V.

We reached Lawrence's house about ten minutes later, and he pulled the car into the garage. I sighed and looked over at him to see him looking at me.

"What?" I asked, frowning.

"Please don't hurt yourself again. Not over Jigsaw, not over anything." He said softly. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

"I don't want to talk about that." I said, looking away. Lawrence sighed.

"Okay. Come on." He said, smiling sadly at me as he got out of the car. I followed.

I had obviously never been in Lawrence's house. It was a very large structure, the walls on the inside all painted a dark shade of red. The furniture was dark, and I couldn't tell what color it was exactly. Lawrence grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me into a room, shutting the door.

"I'll tell Ali tonight, but I don't want you to hear me because she might be.. Mean about you staying here, and I don't want her to hurt your feelings." He whispered as he turned the light on. I blinked as the light hit my eyes.

"Sleep here. I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight." he said quietly. I nodded and he left the room, shutting the door behind him. I climbed into the bed and started to try and sleep.

-

Lawrence's P.O.V.

"What?" Ali frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. I inhaled slowly, preparing for her to get angry.

"I told Adam he could stay here. He needed somewhere better to stay, and it's the least I could do for him. He's not doing well, Ali." I said. My wife bit her lip and ran her hand through her hair.

"Okay. He can stay." she said. I sighed with relief and sat down on the bed.

"Thank you." I said, and she nodded.

-

I woke up early the next morning. I sat up, putting my head in my hands. I wanted to go talk to Adam. As crazy as it was, it was his company that I wished for.

I realized that I didn't have work that day. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, shaking my head. It was 6 a.m., and I wasn't waking Adam up. But perhaps he was awake already? I didn't know how his sleep schedule was, because that isn't something you discuss over coffee. I stood up, scrunching my nose as my foot hit the cold floor. I pulled on the prosthetic foot I had to wear and shuddered as I thought about the hours I'd spent in that prehistoric bathroom.

It made me want to see Adam more. I stood up and made my way into the living room, and to the door of the guest room where Adam was. I could tell that the light was on, but that didn't mean he was awake. He could've fallen asleep with it on. I opened the door slowly to see him sitting on the floor under the window, half asleep.

"Adam." I said softly, shutting the door of the room. He blinked and looked up at me.

"Hi." he grumbled, running his hands down his face.

"Did you sleep any?" I asked. He shook his head.

"I don't think so." He yawned and ran his hands through his hair. I sighed.

"Why not?"

"Didn't want to wake you and your family up with my screaming." he said, a strange smile on his face. I frowned.

"What?"

"I always have nightmares. I wake up screaming every night, and then I usually just.." he shook his head. "Never mind."

I sighed sadly, sitting down next to him.

"I wish I could help you, Adam." I said. He rested his head on my shoulder and sighed.

"You've helped me enough. Don't worry about it." He mumbled, and I could tell that he was falling asleep. I debated on whether or not I should let him, biting my lip as I thought.

I heard him snoring before I made my decision. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. I couldn't move, because he'd fall to the floor if I did and I wasn't going to do that to him. I just had to wait for him to wake up. I closed my eyes slowly.

I don't know when I fell asleep.

-

I woke up hours later. It took me a moment to realize where I was, and I realized that my head was laid on top of Adam's. He still slept soundly, his breaths even and his body still. I bit my lip as I slid my hand between his head and my shoulder. I picked him up and laid him in the bed before walking out of the room, shutting the door.

Ali was asleep on the couch. I sighed and went back to my room, climbing into the bed and pulling the blanket over my head.

I thought about Ali. I still cared for her, but not the same way I used to. The way I cared about her was the way I cared about a friend. I shook my head and buried my face in the pillow, sighing. I missed having those feelings for her. But I just didn't, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.

I heard her moving in the living room a few minutes later. I decided to pretend that I was still asleep, refusing to leave my bed. I didn't want to get out of bed again that day.

I heard the bedroom door open. I was silent, waiting for Ali to come in and try to wake me up.

To my surprise, she didn't. She sat down on the bed next to me, her hand on my side.

"We're strangers now, Larry. What are we doing?" she whispered, and I felt her lay down next to me. She pulled the blanket away from my face and I kept my eyes shut, wondering what else she had to say to me.

"This marriage isn't working anymore. I'm sorry." she whispered. I felt my stomach drop at the sound of the words I wasn't supposed to hear.

"I can't make myself tell you that when you're awake. I'm sorry. I know you're unhappy, but I don't want it to affect Diana."

I opened my eyes. Ali inhaled slowly, staring me in the face. She didn't look away. Neither did I.

"You want a divorce." I said, the words almost burning my tongue as I spoke them. I'd always had fights with my wife. But we'd never actually talked about divorce no matter how unhappy we were.

"I think it's best for the both of us." she whispered. I nodded slowly.

"I'll take Diana and we'll stay with mom. You can see her whenever you want, just don't show up unannounced or anything."

"When are you leaving?" I asked quietly.

"I had plans to leave later than this, but I can call mom and tell her I'm ready now." She said. I nodded.

Ali stood up, and walked out of the room.