Chapter 2: The Wonder Years

Start from the beginning

Over the years, Eric's affection for Sofia had taken a bit of a scary turn. It had gone from being brotherly to thinking of her in ways he knew he shouldn't. It didn't help that she was blossoming at an alarming rate. Most of her baby fat was gone, but she had more curves now than most of the girls Eric's age. The nerves he'd begun to feel around her now were partly due his attraction and partly from the fear of one of her brothers, especially Alex, noticing the way his eyes would involuntarily wander.

Kids began spilling out of the front gate. Angel circled around in the street on his bike.

Something caught Alex's attention. "Is that Asia?"

Eric followed Alex's stare. "Yeah, that's her."

"Damn," Alex smiled, "hard to believe she's only in the eighth grade."

Asia, one of the girls who had grown up with them on the same street, had moved several blocks away last year. She wore a miniskirt with boots that went to her knees. Her tight blouse and low neckline showed just how much she'd grown up in just one year.

Angel stopped his bike and watched as she crossed the street. "That's Asia?"

"Yep." Eric nodded.

Romero circled around Eric. "What's the big deal?" Just as he was going to pass by Alex, he added, "Yeah, she's filled out pretty well for an eighth grader, but she ain't got nothing on Sofie."

Alex kicked Romero's tire, causing him to lose his balance for a second. "Don't be stupid, ass. Sofie doesn't dress like that."

Eric laughed and watched as Romero nearly lost it but recovered at the last second.

"I didn't say she did. I just meant ..."

Alex glared at him.

Romero frowned. "Never mind."

"Yeah, never mind," Alex muttered something else, and Eric couldn't help chuckling. Romero would never learn.

Sofia walked in a group of four, but the fact that her two girlfriends were in front and she was behind them with a boy wiped the smile right off his face. She also wore boots to her knees but with jeans, not a skirt. Her long, straightened hair made her look older.

"There she is." Angel started toward her. "I'll go get her."

Eric waited with Alex and Romero. There was no hiding her annoyance as she realized they were all there waiting for her. Angel rode right up to her. She said something to him then something to the boy, before climbing on Angel's handlebars. Eric smiled. This was precisely what he was counting on.

When they were close enough, Eric saw how annoyed Sofia really was.

She looked right at Alex. "Mom did not say I had to walk home with you guys. All she said was to come straight home."

"We'll take you straight home, Sof." Alex grinned.

They were all on the move now. She rolled her eyes.

"Zat your boyfriend, Sof?" Romero asked.

Before she could answer, Alex drove his bike into the back wheel of Romero's bike. Again, Romero almost lost it.

"C'mon!" Romero yelled, barely able to recover before hitting a tree.

Sofia and Eric exchanged glances, then she huffed, "Of course not—like I'll ever have a boyfriend with you guys always around."

"Good," Alex said.

Eric smiled. His thoughts exactly.

Age 14