Chapter 2 ~ The New Marceline

The weekend flew by in an impatient blur for Marceline. As soon as she wanted, it was Monday, marking the first day of graduation week. Although Marceline couldn't wait to start the summer, along with an entire year break before she returned to school, it meant she had to decide on a college to go to. She was leaning towards Ooo General College primarily, since many people from her high school were going there. Bonnibel included, and by extension, even Marshall Lee.

Marceline forced her heavy eyelids open, hopping out of bed as she made her way to open her bedroom windows curtains. Bracing for brightness, she sighed in relief as the curtains flew open. It was an absolutely beautiful morning. The sky was gloomy and overcast, the sun and blueness concealed by a blanket of grey, just how she liked it. Today, she was going to put her "new Marceline" goal into action, and the gloomy weather made it easier for her to begin her plan.

She dressed in one of the new outfits she'd gotten at the mall on Friday, being a wool grey dress sweater with the same colored tights, and a red belt. Walking down the stairs, she pictured how she hoped her day would go down. Today, she wasn't going to let Marshall tease her. Today was going to be the day where the tables turned.

Like usual, Bonnibel would be waiting on her front porch, to greet Marceline when she came out. Bonnibel just waited outside and didn't bother to knock, not wanting to rush her. However, at some point in the middle of the year Marceline just opened the door once she got downstairs to let her friend in.

Sure enough, when Marceline unlocked and opened the door, sitting in one of her cushioned porch chairs was Bonnie, who was reading a book. Hearing the screen door click open, she glanced upward, a huge smile on her face as she spotted her friend.

"Yay! You're wearing the outfit you got at the mall on Friday!" Bonnibel exclaimed, walking inside as Marceline made her way towards her pantry.

"Might as well," Marceline replied, with a smile on her face as she opened her pantry and grabbed a morning protein bar, "I've been wanting to show it off."

"That's the spirit!" Bonnibel responded happily, watching as Marceline grabbed her umbrella and walked outside, locking the house door as she opened the umbrella up. The two girls linked arms as Bonnibel huddled underneath it, zipping by people as they walked down the sidewalk. For a suburban area, a lot of people seemed to be out and about in her area.

"Today is a pretty nice day!" Bonnibel broke the silence as they passed an stop sign and turned at an intersection, their high school coming into view in the distance. Marceline rolled her eyes, letting out a chuckle. It made sense for herself to like the gloomy weather, but Bonnie saw the beauty in all of nature, overcast or not.

As their high school grew closer, Marceline glanced around for Marshall, half-hoping to see him and half-hoping she wouldn't. Only a few familiar and semi-recognizable faces seemed to be walking into the building, making the school seem peaceful in the quiet suburban area. As if on cue, Marshall was waiting near the entrance inside the main lobby to "greet" her when both she and Bonnie walked into the building.

"Hey, Marcy!" He greeted her, in his usual teasing tone.

Marceline froze, un-linking arms with Bonnie as she closed her umbrella. "Remember your plan, Marceline!" She told herself, turning to face Marshall with the most menacing and confident expression she could muster. "What do you want, Marshall?" Marceline asked, attempting to sound firm and collected. 

Before Marshall had a chance to reply, Bubba strolled passed them and interrupted.

"Morning Marceline, nice outfit." He politely exclaimed, continuing to walk forward but slowed his pace.