...

"Kyle! How've you been?" Misty greeted me.

"Good. You?"

"Fantastic! That new family has two kids who really get down to work when they're here."

"Oh, really? When can I meet 'em?" I tried to sound interested. To add on to my little fakeness, I looked over Misty's shoulder.

"Oh, there's one of them!" Misty pointed behind me.

I turned around to see Ryan. Of all people.

"Ryan?"

"Kyle?"

We both stared at each other for a minute, confused as to why the other was here.

"What are you doing here?" we questioned in unison.

He furrowed his eyebrows and answered me first. "My mom works here now. What are you doing here?"

"I-"

Oh, I got caught by the police doing graffiti for the third time. My community service was to work here, yeah, I don't think so.

"I have a friend here." I lied.

Misty and Lorenna exchanged confused looks from the corner of my eye. Ryan glanced at Misty before explaining that we knew each other from school. They nodded in understanding. We kind of just stood there awkwardly. Ryan kept giving me weird looks, as I did the same to him.

"Ryan! I need help over here!" someone shouted from the kitchen. Ryan called back saying he'd be there momentarily.

"Uh, I gotta...go..." he said and turned away from us.

Before anyone could question me, I told Misty and Lorenna a quick goodbye and fled the cafeteria. I didn't want Ryan finding out why I was here and I definitely did not want him knowing about Gwen if he asked Misty anything.

Because, I think we all know Misty. She'll go on and on about how I'm "falling" for Gwen when really, we're just good friends. Really good friends. Or at least that's what we are to the public.

I shook my head, frustrated, thinking now might be a good time to go see her. I headed towards the way to the elevator and pressed 3. I awkwardly stood there with my hands in my pockets as the elevator made several stops, letting other visitors or patients settle inside.

Once it reached the third floor, I made my way to room 372 and quietly knocked on the door. I hoped she was awake. I heard a faint groan come from inside the room, which must be my cue to walk in.

"Hello," I smiled. I walked in to see Gwen holding up a book in front of her face.

"K-Kyle?" Gwen seemed surprised.

"Why are you all shocked?" I asked, taking a spot in the chair next to her bedside.

"I've barely seen you all week." Gwen said, holding the book higher.

"Um, what are you...reading?" I asked. It looked like a Twilight book, maybe Eclipse, guessing from the size.

"Uh, Breaking Dawn."

Close.

"Why are you holding it so high?" I turned to try to look at her.

She turned in the same direction, hiding more of herself from me.

"No reason, just really interested in it."

"Gwen, pull down your arms, you're going to get tired." I tried to pull them down myself, but she wouldn't budge, although I knew that she was starting to get tired from holding the weight. Of course, with my strength against hers, I would've easily been able to make her arms fall but I didn't want to put her in pain or give her bruising since easy bruising is possible after bone marrow transplants. I researched it.