The Hunter - Chapter sixteen

Chapter fifteen

He wrapped his stone cold arms around me; I shivered slightly beneath his touch, but smiled. I appreciated the companionship.

"What do you want to do?" he asked.

"I don't know. I hoped we wouldn't have to deal with them just yet."

"How are you going to deal with your parents? We can't drug them now to get them to listen."

"I know and there is no point in you trying since they're the only parents in the city who know how to destroy you...and everyone else."

"We're going to have to figure something out."

"Yes. We are."

"How are you feeling, by the way?"

"I'm alright. My body still hurts, but that's to be expected. I should have known better than to try to go up against them. I know how vicious they are. I just don't know why they didn't kill us then and there. Normally they do instant justice to the people who offend the Guild and other Hunters."

"They're probably planning something big. Alyssa, you need to realize something. Now that they know you're aiding vampires and monsters you will be hunted along with us. They're probably using you as sport now. Maybe training for other Hunters to know how to deal with a traitor."

"They wouldn't do such an elaborate thing. Would they?"

"You've known them as long as I have, even better than I. What do you think?"

"Yes. They would." I sighed.

"Alyssa!" my mother hollered.

"I wondered how long it would take for them to come for me." I kissed his cheek and climbed through the window. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Will you be in school?"

"I don't know. I'm going to try."

I closed the window and watched as Blake slipped off the porch as silently as he'd appeared. I shut the curtains and turned around as my mother burst through my bedroom door.

"Yes?"

"Do not yes me, young lady. Down stairs. Now!"

I nodded, my mouth going instantly dry. My stomach churned, and I chewed my bottom lip, hoping that nobody from the Guild was still there.

The living room was empty except for my father who stood, staring out a window. My mother paced around, her brows furrowed, her lips turned down at the edges. She shook her head while muttering to herself.

"Why was the Guild in our living room tonight? Have you found something?" My father asked.

"No. There is nothing at that school."

"Don't lie to us, Alyssa. Do you have any idea how serious this is? Do you know the punishment for lying to Mathias, Marcus, and Vincenzo?" Mother asked.

"Yes. It's death. I know very well that they have no problems killing us. They do not value life."

"Alyssa, we have a job to do. We do not befriend those unnaturals."

"Oh my God, dad! What makes them any more unnatural than us? We don't die. What is natural about that?"

"They've poisoned your mind," my mother said, shaking her head.

"Nobody poisoned my mind. If anything I've woken to what monsters are, just beings that want to live in peace. This isn't the dark ages anymore. They are enlightened and want to give their kids a better life."