21. Azkaban Island

Start from the beginning

"We apparated, how else do you get to the dock?" Draco sneered.

"Yeah well there's no visitors scheduled to the island today," the guard next to the captain. "Make an appointment."

"My boss isn't about appointments," Draco said stiffly, rolling up his sleeve to show his dark mark. The captain and his friend exchanged a look, and nodded for us both to get on.

Climbing onto the boat we stayed a safe distance away from the two possible death eaters. Standing shoulder to shoulder we looked out into the murky ocean, the grey seeming endless and entrapping, like there was no end to the horror from Azkaban.

No wonder only a handful of people had ever escaped alive.

As the waves whipped around the boat, Azakaban could clearly be seen ahead. It was an infinitely tall triangular building stretching far into the grey haze of clouds, bars covering almost every inch of the brick work-hands of prisoners could be glimpsed at grabbing at the bars, screaming and pleading for escape.

As the boat moored at the dock at Azkaban, the screams could be heard in higher pitches, the hopeless feeling growing inside me like a poisonous flower as dementors were sighted at the looming double doors to enter the fortress.

"I'd use a patronus up until you're in there, mate," the captain said, his own patronus-a dog-floating behind him. "And your little mute friend as well-not a happy place, Azkaban."

"Thank you," Draco said stiffly, and grabbing my hand, the two of us exited the boat, pulling my hood further over my face as the wind roared.

"Expecto Patronum," Draco whispered to himself as the boat turned around, heading back to the darkened waters, leaving us alone on the path to Azkaban.

In the darkness, a shape began forming out of Draco's wand, white and glowing like a talisman to guide us through. A smile played on my face when I saw what the animal was-a stag.

He noticed me staring. "What can I say; you clearly have an effect on me."

Feeling a bit more comfortable, I set up my own patronus, and the two of them walked in front of us, and maybe it was Draco's hand in mine or the lights of the patronuses, but I felt like we could actually do this, get Gennie out.

The doors were open when we got there, and all feelings of hope seemed to slide off me as we entered the dingy entrance hall, a wizard guard reading a newspaper at his desk. Behind him were several blown up photos of Harry and me, calling us dangerous lunatics. Pulling my cloak firmly over my head, I let Draco step forward to talk to him.

"Good afternoon," Draco said calmly. The wizard looked up from his crossword. "I have a warrant to collect Genesis Lupin from maximum security."

He sounded so genuine I almost believed him myself, but the guard raised an eyebrow. "And on what authority is that?"

Once again, Draco rolled up his sleeve, exposing the dark mark. "And we wouldn't want to disappoint my master, would we? He doesn't like not getting what he wants."

The guard paled dramatically, and leapt to his feet. "Right away sir, yes, um, who is your friend?"

"Associate from Bulgaria, she doesn't speak." Draco lied. "But my master trusts her to help me."

The guard nodded, and seizing his wand and a long rung of keys tripped over his own feet to lead us to the cells. Following the guard, Draco gave me a little smile which said hey this is actually working.

We travelled through several cell blocks, which was honestly the most terrifying thing I've ever done in my life. The corridors were narrow and claustrophobic, no lights guiding the way leaving a constant grey darkness over the place. And then there were the prisoners in the closely packed cells.