When she raised a questioning eyebrow, he grinned, “Just crossing some things off my list of ‘things to do with Jess’! Mission complete for several items!”

“Mmm,” she ran her fingers over his chest delicately, “I think I’m going to enjoy a repeat later!”

Alex groaned in frustration, and reached for her, but she evaded his grasp.

Laughing she battered her eyelashes at him, “I need food and fresh air, are you man for the job?”

            “You KNOW I am!” he growled in an alpha male manner.

They strolled around the local park, throwing crusts of stale bread to the ducks, then buying cups of steaming coffee to warm their cold hands. The stroll back to a cafe near her home was relaxing; she teased him, flirted with him, all the time holding his hand as though her life depended on it. Alex was quiet, happy watching Jess became the carefree woman he remembered. Because even when she had the oppressive forces of her father hanging over her, she had the joie de vivre that he found infectious. Her enthralling and infectious smile, the skip in her step. It all felt so right, he was finally where he belonged.

After a lunch of hearty soup and crusty bread that she wolfed down in the same enthusiastic and wholesome way. For a moment he wondered how she’d fare in New York, where the trophy wives barely ate, the glamorous women surviving on fresh air and vodka. Not that he cared. Though conversations about their future would be imminent. He was due home for work soon enough, he wasn’t sure how long he could feasibly stretch out this trip. But he wanted to establish a firm place in Jessie’s life before he even thought about going. And he’d argue that point to anyone who tried to change his plans.

The walk back to her home was as leisurely as the rest of the stroll, but there was an edge to their actions, both knowing that once the door closed behind them, they’d devour each other in the way they’d both been imagining for the ninety minutes of their time out. And in truth, they didn’t make it as far as the lounge, ravishing each other in the decidedly cold hallway.

Over the next week they were inseparable. Her work suffered partly due to the weather, but also in part due to her tiredness. Alex was insatiable, and she loved feeling so desired.  The following Wednesday a neglected Evelyn phoned as Jess was cooking.

            “Hey friend! Have you died?”

Jess chuckled, “sorry, I’m a crap friend.”

Eve laughed, “But one who’s having more sex than a prostitute! Lucky you! I saw Alex today at work, he looks shattered.”

Jess tucked the phone under her chin, stirring a large pot of soup as she spoke, and blushed, “do you fancy some tomato and basil soup and...” she checked the fridge, “a Pinot Grigio to catch up?”

            “Sounds great girlfriend. I have a BIG presentation on tomorrow, the US head office are coming over and making decisions on budgets and stuff. I need your opinion on what I should wear.”

Jess spluttered, “You are honestly asking ME to judge what you should wear?” She was so not a great judge of fashion.

Eve was chuckling, “I’m hoping that the loved up you will be a tad more feminine, and you really are my only option!”

Jess was still laughing to herself when Alex called, “How are you sexy?”

Sitting down by the fire, she smiled at his warm voice, “Hey yourself!”

            “How was your day?”

She could imagine Alex, probably still at his desk, looking out across the river, tired and worried over his work.

            “It was good,” she smiled, “I missed you, but Evelyn’s coming over she’s feeling a bit neglected.”

He sighed, “probably for the best. I’m not working at my full rate,” she could hear humour in his voice as he added, “something, or rather someone is distracting me!”

            “Well we do need to give some input to the rest of our lives!”

Half an hour later as Jess was lifting hot bread rolls from the oven, the door bell rang. Smiling she threw her arms around Evelyn as she opened the door. She was accompanied by several large bags.

            “Something smells good!”

Jess nodded, “well it’s your recipe!”

They sat at the table interspersing eating the soup, drinking wine and chatting. Evelyn was more nervous than Jess had ever seen her; it transpired that her designs were the lynchpin for the project that the Garland Company were promoting. Alex apparently represented the New York based mother company, and tomorrow more representatives from Sarison were coming over to hear the plans and decide on if they were viable. It meant everything to Evelyn.

            “Can I do anything to help?” Jess knew her offer was a gesture; she was so far removed from Eve’s cutthroat world.

 Evelyn grinned, “Take my place?”

Jess laughed, “Like that would help! I’m sorry; I have to draw the line at picking your outfit I reckon!”

Later after a fashion show to rival Milan or Paris, Evelyn had settled on a confidence boosting outfit, and had finally left with Jess promising to call her the next day, after the event.

After a quick goodnight call to her husband, she chuckled at the irony; she settled under the duvet and had the best night’s sleep she’d had in months!!!

She was in the final stages of the roof terraces. Each one unique yet similar, each one an extension of the living space, exactly the remit laid down by Michael Webster.

As she was planting the last of the hardy plants, she heard voices behind her.

            “Wow!” she turned to see Michael Webster accompanied by six other men, the tallest and most stunning being Alex. She met his eyes briefly but otherwise did little else to acknowledge him. Pulling off her thick work gloves, she shook hands with the men as they were introduced one by one.

Alex stood waiting his turn, the sight of Jess took his breath away, it always did. She had thick canvas trousers with reinforced knees, heavy work boots and a thick jacket, but even in all that she looked petite, small, beautiful. As she shook his hand, he was amazed at the fireworks that jolted in his chest. He really did love this woman.

She explained the gardens in great detail as she gave the group a guided tour. All six were more than impressed and Alex was so proud of her, so pleased for her. The men meandered around the roof spaces at their leisure for a few moments, and Alex took that opportunity to sidle up to Jess.

            “Think there’s time for a quickie inside?”

She looked up at him and smiled, “as much as I’d like to, I think we’d probably be missed...or discovered!” Her voice was as hushed as his had been.

He grinned, “You’re right of course.” He leaned forward and from a distance it looked like he was gazing into the small water feature, but in reality he was whispering closer to her ear, “but I missed you...” he glanced up as Michael Webster called to him. And before heading across to his colleagues, he breathed, “I love you Mrs Pattison...”

Leaving her to deal with the emotions that phrase created; he strolled across the open space to the others.  By the time she joined them, again, they were issuing formal goodbyes. As they entered the building in order to descend, she saw Webster clap Alex on the back and mumble something that sounded suspiciously like “good choice Pattison.”