"But you can't mean that, Harry," said Ron, his blue eyes filling up with hurt and betrayal. "It's mad!"

"I'm not asking you to like it," responded Harry with quiet severity. "I'm only asking you to hear us out and try to understand . . . and respect that this is what I . . . what Draco and I both want."

Draco had been watching Ron with an expression of cool disdain. He snorted scornfully. "I seem to remember you saying that Harry was free to see anyone he wants to." He raised one eyebrow in subtle triumph. "I believe that includes me."

Ron turned red again, his fists clenched. "The hell it does," he spat.

"And," Draco went on, his voice full of sarcasm, "I hope the irony of this is not lost on you, Weasley. That this is me protecting Harry this time - from you."

"Draco . . ." said Harry in warning, tightening his grip on the other boy's hand.

"He's not the one that needs protecting from me, Malfoy," said Ron taking a threatening step forward.

Draco immediately stepped forward and stood slightly in front of Harry. "Back off, Weasley," he hissed, fixing Ron with a full Malfoy death glare.

Ron stopped and glared back, then pulled out his wand.

"Ron!" exclaimed Hermione, instantly taking hold of his arm. "Stop it! This is not going to help anything."

But Ron turned on her, his voice cold. "You knew! You knew it was Malfoy, and you didn't tell me!"

"I didn't tell you," she retorted, "because Harry needed to tell you himself. And because I knew you'd act like this. Throwing a tantrum is not going to change things. If Harry and Draco want to be together, you're going to have to accept it."

Ron jerked his arm away from Hermione's grasp. He took one last look from Harry to Draco, and down at their clasped hands. It was unthinkable that the person he despised most in the world had somehow slipped past his guard and was seducing his best friend. There was such a strong solidarity to the way they were standing there together, and that was perhaps the most shocking thing of all to Ron's eyes. "I can't even stand to look at them," he said icily. Then he turned on his heel and stalked out of the room.

"That went well," muttered Draco, still very aggravated, his low voice entirely too loud in the silence left by Ron's angry exit.

Harry ran one hand through his hair. "No worse than I expected, I guess."

Hermione turned back from watching the door swing shut behind Ron. "I should go after him," she said. She gave Harry and Draco each a stern look. "That really could have been handled better . . . but never mind. I'll see if I can talk some sense into him."

"Ha," said Draco, in an undertone. "Not bloody likely - "

"Thanks, Hermione," said Harry quickly, cutting Draco off.

"C'mon, Ginny," said Hermione to the younger girl who was staring at Harry and Draco, her eyes wide as saucers and one hand over her open mouth. "I'll explain it to you, too."

"We'll try to talk to him again later, after he's had some time to settle down," called Harry as Hermione walked away with a dazed Ginny in tow. He turned and gave Draco a quelling look. "And you," he said, voicing his frustration, but quietly so only Draco would hear, "I thought you were going to try to stay calm and not react to him."

Draco met Harry's eyes with unflinching defiance. "If you think I am going to stand by and be calm while he shoves you onto the floor, you are very much mistaken."