꧁༺[iii]-the return of devil-༻꧂

abhira

I run as fast as i could- so that he wouldn't catch me.

Who knows?

I hire a cab and sit inside- switching my phone on.

30 MISSED CALLS FROM MADHAV PAPA.

I take a long breath and dial him up.

''ABHIRA'' His voice was louder.

''Why weren't you picking up my phone- what happened is everything alright? I was feeling uneasy from yesterday night and i had thought of calling you yesterday but a case caught me up. Are you okay my child?''

My words get caught up in my throat. Tears flow from my eyes.

''PAPA''

''Yes child''

''I am fine''

''You don't seem to- your voice is cracking- are you crying?''

''Network problem--i will call back later--bye papa''

I cut the call. If he comes to know then he will surely meddle- as a police officer and I will not be able to save him or his family- Yuvraj would finish them in no time.

And I cannot  afford to lose him- like my mother.

''Madam- where will you head to? Please tell me the address.

''HUH?''

''Where to?''

''Mussorie- Akshar Resort''

''Ok mam''

------

As I step out of the taxi, the night envelops me in its cool embrace. The familiar sight of my house in the dimly lit street brings a sense of relief but the relief soon washes away as I remember that I have to pay the debts. What if I lose this house like my parents?.  My reverie gets broken by dog's cry and I pay the driver. He starts his car and the tail lights disappear around the corner, leaving me standing alone on the quiet sidewalk. 

I make my way up the path to the front door. The key feels foreign in my grip as I struggle to fit it into the lock. The adrenaline of being home alone at this hour mixed with my exhaustion, cause  my hands to tremble.

Just as I manage to turn the key, a sudden gust of wind makes the leaves on the trees rustle loudly. A chill runs down my spine, and I couldn't shake off the feeling of being watched. Ignoring my own unease, I turn the key and push the door open, ready to escape into the safety of my home.

But before I could step inside, I hear it - footsteps echoing on the pavement behind me. The sound started off faint but steadily grew louder with each passing second, quickening my heartbeat. I turn around, shining my phone's light into the darkness, expecting to see someone there. But there was nobody in sight.

The footsteps continue, now sounding like they were right behind me, as if someone or something was following my every move. Panic surges through me, and I fumble to lock the door behind me. As i push the door- it stops midway.