Chapter 17 - Collusion

Jeni POV

Present Day

I just arrived at Devon's pack house. Sheila had told me that he was back and that he brought his mate and child. I know Rue has been keeping us apart, but if his mate is gone, Rue will calm down. I just need to figure out how to get rid of her, again. If I insinuate myself between them, she may finally reject him and then Rue will accept me. I just need to play my cards right.

Sheila is in the pack house watching TV. She lives on the second floor here as she is single and hasn't found her mate or chosen one yet. "Hey Sheila, where is Devon?"

She juts her chin up, "In his office."

"Okay. Operation Destroy Amaris is about to commence." I hissed.

"Don't you mean Operation Destroy Amaris round two is about to commence?" She laughs. "Round one was about three years ago."

"Whatever!"

I sprint up the stairs, taking them two at a time. I don't have a moment to lose. I can't let her get a foot in.

Coming to Devon's office, the door is slightly ajar and I see him reach over to hold Amaris's hand. I slam the door open and it hits the wall with a loud bang.

"Devon, you're back." I gush. I eye Amaris faking innocence, as if I don't already know who she is. "Who is this she-wolf?"

I smugly notice that he jerks his hand from hers guiltily. He faces me and lifts his hands placatingly. "Jeni, what are you doing here?"

I look up at him with my big wet baby blues that get him every time. I whimper, "I came to welcome you home. I'm sorry if I interrupted something." I blinked and a tear ran down my cheek. Classic. Mom taught me that trick years ago.

"Aw, Jeni, don't cry." Devon groans. When he looks at the floor, I can't resist smirking at Amaris. The amateur. She's out of her league. Never stood a chance.

He starts to reach for me, but an angry growl rips from his chest; he jerks back. "I-I...you know you shouldn't be here." He goes out into the foyer and I follow. First goal accomplished. "Jeni. You remember I told you I found my mate again, my wife? That is her. That is Amaris. I have brought her here to try to fix what I destroyed. I love her and I want to be with her."

Oh for crying out loud. I internally roll my eyes, but outwardly, I do the tear trick again. "Okay." I choked as tears streamed down my face.

"Aw, Jeni, please don't cry." Devon exclaimed. "You know I love you dearly. You are my best friend and you always will be no matter what. No one can replace what we have."

I just continued to cry. He looks at me desperately. He must have mind linked his mother, because Luna Wright shows up to comfort me. "Aw little Jeni pie, don't cry." She wraps her arm around my shoulder and leads me down to the TV room.

As soon as Sheila sees me, she comes to retrieve me from Luna Wright. Once we are alone on the couch, I roll my eyes. "That woman kills me."

"Which one?" Sheila asks.

"Both of them." I fumed. "I need to think of a way to get Amaris out of here."

"Or find a potion to put Rue asleep so you can get close to Devon." Sheila says. "I know they have them. I have heard of them."

"Devon was dying to hug me just now and Rue went after me again." I tapped my chin. "Hmmm."

"Where I work in the clinic with the healers, I can ask around about something that puts wolves to sleep, like I am just trying to learn." Sheila offered.

"Sheila, you are my best friend. I chuckle. "Oh, by the way, I am going to stay with you for a bit. Okay? I can't get between them if I am not here."

"Of course you can."