Chapter 1

Celeste closed the booking register and looked around the customer area of her business. It wasn't big, but there was no need for space. A sign that was usually on the sidewalk stood against the wall — Trax an eco-Tour Company, and a front counter where people signed up for one of the eco tours on the schedule. A small office in the back where she kept her files and did the paperwork that every business owner hated.

Riverton was a treasure of nature walks, swimming, and fishing. Hers was one of three tour companies in town and there was plenty of business to go around during the season. Enough most years to pay the bills in the off season.

She walked over and straightened the brochures on the counter, then refolded the stack of the Trax teeshirts that customers seemed to love. Today was quiet, there were no tours booked because she was moving, and her two employees had the day off. The apartment upstairs was empty except for a few supplies like coffee, tea, mugs and a kettle. What was her apartment until today was now the coffee station for her employees. Celeste would find a tenant for the apartment as soon as she was settled in the new house.

Chuckling at the thought of her house being new, it was only new to her, Celeste headed for the stairs to do one more check before closing up. She'd spend the afternoon in the old Victorian house she'd bought to fix up.

The apartment was two rooms, a bathroom and an all-purpose, living room/kitchen/bedroom. It had been perfect until the day she saw her new home. Celeste was doubly glad of the size of the apartment as she checked that that there were no boxes left behind – it only took seconds. All that was left were the two worn out chairs she didn't want to put in her new home.

Leaving felt sad and exciting. She would miss the coziness of the room — it had been her home for five years. But the Victorian had nine bedrooms along with two parlors and a basement, and having a garden and a real kitchen was worth a little feeling of loss.

Back in the ground level office, Celeste saw Max and Alicia peering through the window. She waved and unlocked the front door for them. "I'm just about to leave," she said then stopped. Max looked serious. He was in uniform and didn't smile when he stepped through the door. He was here on official business.

Alicia, followed Max. It always struck Celeste as fate that the small town sheriff had found love with a city Private Investigator. When Alicia moved to Riverton to be with Max, Celeste had quickly found a friend in the cheerful newcomer. Celeste wished she could look more put together like Alicia. Her own casual look worked for her business, but every now and then, Celeste wished her blond curls could be more easily tamed, or that she had the courage to cut it short. Alicia's spiky black hair went with her edgy approach to life. Today, Alicia was as somber as Max.

Celeste felt her breathing tighten.

Max touched her elbow and guided Celeste toward the stairs. "Let's go up so we have privacy."

Nodding, she allowed him to lead her to the apartment, Alicia following close behind.

Upstairs her apartment felt like a closet with all three of them there, along with the emotional presence of Max's unspoken news.

"Just tell me, Max." Her voice caught on his name.

"I received a call from the Seattle Police. There's no way to make this easy to hear. Your sister and brother-in-law were coming home from vacation. The plane they chartered crashed on landing and there were no survivors."

The world filled with silence. It had a physical force, pressing on her, cold, and hard, and persistent, Celeste dragged in a breath against the pressure. Her mind reached out for something to say, but words wouldn't change anything.