Chapter 13 - You Will Lament This Day

Devin's POV

Present Day

After my workout in the gym, I feel rejuvenated. My blood is hot, coursing through my veins. I decided to go visit my son's grave while I contemplated the conversation I intend to have with Amaris tonight.

Reaching Devlin's grave, I fall to my knees.  Digging my emerging claws into the soil, I touch my forehead to the grass he lays beneath.  Bitter anguish fills my soul as sobs once again rack my body.

The truth is I really don't have a good reason for leaving Amaris. Sure, dad was in my head all night long screaming at me. I had managed to block him out enough to share a wonderful experience with Amaris. My beautiful Amaris. But when dad screamed in my mind that Jeni was pregnant, I just panicked.

Remembering the morning after my mating with Amaris.  

In my frenzied flight from our room the next morning, I literally ran into Jeni just outside the door. "Oomph," Jumping back, I grabbed Jeni's arms to steady her. Her head turned slowly up to me, her sweet blue eyes filled with tears. "Devon, I-I don't know what to do." She whispered, her lips trembling. "I-I don't want to be a single mom. I need you to be a father." She blinked and tears coursed down her cheeks. With a shaking hand she touches her flat stomach. My eyes followed her hand as she softly caressed where my pup lay.

An overwhelmingly protective feeling came over me. I had to be a man and accept my responsibilities. I love Jeni deeply as my best friend and I was going to be a father. A quick nod of my head and one last look back at the door I had just left through, I made my decision. I took Jeni's arm and left without once looking back.

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

Rue was deadly silent. Shaken, waves of crippling despair rippled through him and subsequently through me. Rue sank to the depths of my consciousness, all grip on reality gone. Powerless. I was numb.

It wasn't until we were about halfway home that Rue began to stir. I think up until this point he was in shock and as unnerved as I. "Return to mate." Rue whispered. "Something is not right. This is wrong!." He begins pacing in my mind. His voice became stronger.

Thankfully, dad was driving. Jeni and I were in the car with mom and dad. I was in the front passenger seat, an enforcer behind me. Rue was becoming increasingly aggressive. "RETURN TO MATE!"

"We can't return to mate." I told him. "We have a responsibility to Jeni and our pup."

"No! Something is not right." He becomes more agitated and unhinged. As I struggle to keep him calm, he is pushing to come to the forefront. My hands become claws and I feel my fangs descending. "She must die!" He roars, foam lathering from his maw. I watch in horror as he lurches for Jeni who is seated behind dad. Thank the goddess but our enforcer is quick. He latches his arms around me from behind and immobilizes me. I am too strong for him. As he desperately tries to hold on, dad jerks the vehicle off to the side of the road.

"Devon, Rue!" He orders with his full Alpha aura washing over me. "Stop immediately. What is wrong with you?" He demands.

"I don't know." I gasp breathing hard. "It's Rue. He is crazed. He says something isn't right. He is demanding to return to our mate."

"Regain control, Devon. That is not happening." He orders.

The Alpha in Rue and I are not constricted by his order, but I manage to force him to comply out of respect to our Alpha.

"You have a responsibility to Jeni. That is my final word." He barks.

"Jeni will NEVER be our mate.  YOU will lament this day!"  Rue growls  viciously as he slinks back to the murky depths of my consciousness.

Amaris Rejected!On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara