Chapter 12 - Penance Day

Amaris's POV

Present Day

Office of Alpha Blake Collins

Alpha Blake arranged for Devon and I to meet in his office. I stood at the door hesitating to knock. "Come in Amaris." Alpha Blake calls. I push the door open to find Devon is already seated in one of the arm chairs. I sit in the other one. "Hello Amaris, how are you doing today?" Alpha Blake asks as I sit down.

"I am well, Alpha Blake." I replied. Not wanting to waste any time, I hand the manila envelope I have to Devon. Addressing him, "That contains some photographs of Devi that I think you may like."  Next, I pass him a file folder containing the proposed divorce agreement he needs to sign. "This is a fair divorce agreement. You can take it to your attorney for approval. I ask for no assets, no alimony or child support. As far as visitation, I ask that it be limited and supervised until Devi is familiar with you and you prove that you are reliable and won't drop out of her life." He flinches as I say that last sentence.

"Amaris," he interrupts. "I really don't want a divorce. I want to have a real conversation with you."

"You mean like the one you should have had three years ago?" I quip.

He looks as though I struck him. "I deserve that."

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

"Yes, you do. I, however, don't  desire to have any kind of conversation with you except one regarding our children." I state abruptly.

"Children?" Devon looks confused.

Ashamed at my callousness, I reply gently, "In the manila envelope is a copy of a scrapbook of the pregnancy journey and birth of our twins.  We had a son, Devlin, who was too weak to live long outside my womb. I can take you to his grave if you would like to visit it some time."

I drop my head and avert my eyes as Devon begins to break down. "A son? Devlin?"

I nod. "I-I had too much stress with the rejection and working.  It caused early labor."  My voice trailing off.    "His lungs weren't fully developed. Devi struggled too, but she was stronger."  I finished quickly, metaphorically ripping off the band aid.

Devon jumped to his feet. "I-I need a moment. I-I can't..." He opens the door and once again does what he is good at...the disappearing act. This time, though, I totally understand.

Devon's POV

I completely wolf out. As soon as I clear the pack house, Rue takes over my skin. Shifting mid air, my clothes bursting off my hide. We run like we have never run before. Wind whips through fur, agony like a fire burns through my heart. How much loss can a wolf survive? Nothing is more devastating than to learn of the loss of another pup.

I'm reminded of the days following the meet & greet. Jeni had told her parents and subsequently me, that she was pregnant. Although it is rare for wolves to conceive outside the mate bond, it is not unheard of.  However, I could not sense any pups on her.  It was early in the pregnancy and Rue was not cooperating. I couldn't even get close to Jeni anymore without him trying to kill her.  He was livid that we had left our mate for Jeni and was in a constant state of chaos.