Chapter 10 - The Warning

Amaris POV

"Hello, mommy." A tiny boy with chocolate brown eyes awakes me.

"Who-who are you?" I question as I rise up from my warm bed. It is dark outside my window, so it must still be night.

"It's me mommy." He laughs.

Oh my goddess, he is the spitting image of Devi, down to the gold ringlets on his head. He appears to be the same age as her. Am I losing my mind? "Devlin?" I whisper.

He giggles joyfully as he nods his head. "Yes, mommy. The goddess has allowed me to visit you. There's a lot you don't know that you need to figure out."

He sounds more like an adult than a child. I blink and he changes before my eyes. No longer a child, he is now a teenager. Big, strong and healthy. Tears blur my vision. Oh, goddess. If only he had lived. My sweet Devlin. I bury my head in my hands and begin to sob.

"Don't cry mother." He comforts me in a deeper voice. "I have been allowed to come here to guide you. I need to help you find your past." He points behind me and the scenery has changed. No longer are we in my room, but we are in a dark forest. The path laid behind me is narrow, but well traveled. It is lined with beautiful trees on each side that stretch over the path to form a protective canopy. "The path behind you was wrought with pain, but it is settled now."

"So, I need to help guide your future." He utters as he points to the path ahead of us. I notice that it is not so well defined. There are several paths that fork off of the one we are on. None of the paths look easy. They show varied degrees of difficulty. Cluttered with boulders and felled trees, either side of each path is choked with thorny vines and rose bushes. "The path ahead has many dangers, but much happiness. It needs to be carefully trodden."

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

I notice that one of the paths has a drop off down the side of a steep mountain. It is on this path about ten feet away that I spot Devi. Just out of reach stands a woman I don't recognize. A menacing smile stretches across her face, as she beckons Devi to her.

A now adult Devlin, the very image of Devon, points to the woman, "That woman is responsible for my ultimately not joining you and our family. It's her lies that caused my father to turn away from us and abandon you. She is still a potential danger to our family, especially Devi. Memorize her face. When you see her again, protect Devi from her at all costs."

I watch in horror as Devi is lured off the cliff. Lunging to save my daughter, I find myself falling through darkness.

Landing with a thump, I spring up from my bed screaming, "Devi!" Heart racing, I look around and slowly become aware that I am in my bed back in my room. Through the window, dawn is breaking over the sky. It is then that I realize I had just had one of my prophetic dreams. I need to always be alert for this woman I was shown. She is a danger to Devi and my family.