Prologue: Orphaned

"Sis, can we get some ice cream? The truck is going to leave!" I yelled up at my sister.

She slowly came down the steps and handed me money, "Get it yourself, Ariel. You're 12, you are old enough to go by yourself."

I remember seeing two men in uniforms walking up to my front door. Both men looked down at me in sympathy as I walked towards the ice cream truck. A car was parked in the front, and it wasn't a normal car. It had a man with chains around his wrists and a smirk on his face.

My mother opened the door and her smile immediately fell as she saw who the men were. Seconds later, she fell to her knees in sobs, crying words like, "Why." Some words were foreign to me, I had never heard them come out her mouth before.

The two men walked back to the car and sent me one last sympathetic look before they drove off. I ran to my mother who was still sobbing uncontrollably. I put my hand on her shoulder but she shoved it off and got up. She sniffled and walked up the stairs, not a word was said.

****

My mother didn't speak to me for 3 months, three. My sister told me that it was because she was depressed about dad. He had been shot while in his camp at war. But, I knew it was probably far worse than a gunshot that killed him.

A few days after my mother hadn't spoke a word for three months, she took my sister and I out. She said an apology to me, but it always seemed like she was doing more than apologize for just ignoring me.

A few hours later, I woke up on top of an old mattress in a dump. I was abandoned. She was apologizing for the future not for the past. It didn't surprise me that she had left me in the middle of no where and took my sister instead of me. I always was the invisible one of the family because I wasn't as outgoing as the rest.

My parents took care of both my sister and I, but my sister always got the better things. Always.

From then on, I was an orphan on the streets.