Chapter 8 - Platform 9 3/4

"Syria," a soft voice announces. "It's time to get up, honey."

My eyes flutter open only to clench shut from the harsh light. I hear the door shut behind Andromeda. I let out a groan as I felt the deep aching in my body, an excellent way to start the day. I pull the blankets off of my body and then slowly put weight on my feet as I stand up from the bed. Stabbing pain shoots up my legs to my hips, but I force my legs to lift and move across the floor to the bathroom.

I flip on the light, brush my teeth, and scrub my face with soap. I put on a white sweater and a blue skirt. There is a knock at the door as Andromeda comes into the room. She sits me down on the blue velvet chair. Her fingers gently guide my hair into two Dutch braids going into pigtails and ties two blue ribbons on the top of each pigtail.

"Ok honey, come downstairs when you are ready," Andromeda announces as she leaves.

I pull on a pair of white socks, then slip on my black Mary Janes. I grab the brown leather trunk and exit the room that had been mine for the past weeks. I clench the rail on the stairs as I slowly walk down. I sit the trunk by the antique couch then sit at the wooden table.

I eat silently, all of the what-ifs running through my head. When I finish picking at the large bowl of fruit and yogurt, I sit my dishes in the sink and then grab the leather trunk. I follow the Tonks family to the garage, where a bright red vintage car sits. Dora and I climb in the back, and Ted and Andromeda sit in the front.

I watch the tall buildings of London as we drive past. Bright red telephone booths stand out against the brown-colored buildings. Red buses that are so tall they look like they could easily fall over by a gust of wind drive by. 

We arrive at Kings Cross Station. The building has brown bricks with large arched windows.
I follow Dora out of the car and into the building. Dora helps me load my trunk and Margret into one of the trolleys. It is overly crowded; large amounts of people push past, and I fling my hand out to hold onto Andromeda's arm so as not to get swept away in the current of the people. I'm too short to see over the heads of all the people so I don't know where we are and where we are headed. We stop in front of a pillar, and an older girl with a trolley runs into the pillar and disappears. I crane my neck to try and look on the other side, but she is gone.

"The train station we need to be at is called Platform 9 3/4. You will run into the pillar, and then you will arrive on the other side," Andromeda explains.

Dora goes first; she walks into the brick pillar and then disappears. It doesn't make sense. I can start to comprehend a picture moving, but defying the laws of science is where I begin to not honestly believe these people are entirely there in the head.

"Go ahead, darling," Andromeda encourages.

I guided the heavy cart to be in line with the pillar. I look at Andromeda again. This has to be some joke.

"Go ahead, you should do it at a bit of a run the first time," she instructs with a soft smile.

The woman who had been kind to me these past weeks now wants me to run into a brick pillar. Sounds pretty familiar to becoming my family than dropping me back off at the girl's home. I turn my head to look at her and shake my head. I won't be made a fool again.

"Come on honey, you need to do it," Andromeda encourages.

"You go ahead dear, she might need to see someone else do it again before she feels more comfortable," Ted reasons.

Andromeda purses her lips before walking effortlessly through the pillar. The moment her nose touches it, it disappears, later along with the rest of her body.