xviii. chess.

𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒
kiara's pov.

❝ 📓🪷♟️🌷🦭 ❞

"WHY ARENT you on your way to Connor's yet?! Aren't you supposed to be there at two o'clock?" Cleo shouts, and I nod as I pace across my room.

"I know, I know! I just don't know what to wear! I don't know if I'm supposed to look causal or semi-casual, because he didn't really say it was a date, but what if he meant it as a date?" I explain my thought process to her, and she sighs.

"Wear anything, Kia. He won't care if you're in a trash bag or in the hottest outfit he's ever seen, because he's already whipped as hell for you. He'll love your outfit either way." Cleo advises. "If you want my input, I say you wear that white crop top Athena and I got you."

My eyes widen. "The one you got for my birthday that covers like 4% of my skin?! No way! I'm just gonna go with my cropped sweatshirt and those camo pants I have. It's cute, hopefully he'll think so too."

"He will, trust me. Now get over there!" She pushes me toward the door to my room, and I laugh as I grab my phone and walk out, shouting bye to Cleo.

When I reach Connor's house, I knock on the door, and to my surprise, Brady answers.

"Oh, hey Kiara. Connor's out in the back." He nods at me in acknowledgment.

Connor walks into the house from the back door, panting like he just ran a mile.

"Brady you ass. I told you to tell me when she got here!" He scolds, and brady shrugs innocently.

"Oops! Must've slipped my mind." He avoids eye contact with Connor as he walks past us and up to his room.

Connor makes a strangling motion at his brother as he walks off, and I laugh softly at the movement. After brady's gone, Connor takes a deep breath and then turns to look at me.

"Hi, Ki. You look—" he stutters a little. "good. You look really good."

"Thank you, Connie." I answer, smiling at him, and he nods as his face heats up.

"Of course, Ki. Uh... you wanna head to the backyard? I kinda set something up." He says awkwardly, and I laugh as I nod.

He grabs my hand and pulls me outside, and I squeal as he starts running. I run to keep up, and we stop at a little chess set up, and I gasp as I see it.

"Connor... how did you even know I like chess?" I whisper, and he smiles at me.

"It wasn't hard to figure out. Your Lock Screen on your phone is a chess board, you consistently play that online version when you're bored, and you've mentioned it a few times. Not many, but a few times." He explains. "I didn't know how to play before today, so..."

My eyes widen. "You learned how to play chess? Today?"

He nods. "Mhm. Brady taught me. I mean, he only knows the basics so I tried to learn a little more than that so it's not super easy to beat me, but I didn't pick up on much."

He learned chess for me? I'm gonna melt, holy shit. Who knew he was so sweet?

"Connor, I—" I can't keep my smile off my face as I throw myself at him, wrapping my arms around his torso in a tight hug. "You're so sweet. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much it means to me that you tried to learn how to play chess for me..."