Soaring

High Valyrian Traslations:

Vēzot! = Up!
Embrot! = Down!
Tegot! =Land!

⊹₊⋆☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎⋆₊ ₊⋆☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎⋆₊ ₊⋆☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎⋆₊ ₊⋆☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎⋆₊ ⊹

Ulf had never come face to face with a dragon before. He was familiar with them, used to seeing them fly over the city skies, over Dragonstone, but he had never had the privilege of being by their side, of being able to touch them and feel their warmth beneath his skin.

Vaekar lowered her muzzle towards the Princess to be petted and closed her eyes, relaxed by Princess Rhaenerys' touch. The princess had explained to him that dragons, once claimed, only responded to the call of their rider, and in some cases, such a strong bond could be formed that they could feel their emotions as if they were their own. She aimed to have that kind of relationship with her dragon, like her sister Rhaenyra and uncle Daemon had with their own, and judging by how Vaekar was behaving, Ulf thought she was on the right track.

"Vaekar, I would like to introduce you to someone," Princess Rhaenerys said, not stopping her caressing. "He is Ulf, my new knight."

She smiled at the amethyst creature and back at him as she spoke those words, and Ulf couldn't help but reciprocate. When Ser Torrhen informed him that he - a knigth of the Princess' guard - wanted him and Hugh as squires, he didn't know how to react. He had admired the princess when she had visisted Dragonstone, but he knew his place, and he knew that his could only be a unilateral admiration and someone like him, a dragonseed, a bastard could never become a great knight like in his mother's stories. Perhaps he could have hoped for something akin to admiration from afar, but knighthood had always been too absurd a possibility for him to even dream of. Yet, it was the Princess Rhaenerys herself who incouraged Ulf and Hugh and later convinced her Red Giant to give it a try, and when he consented, Ulf didn't dare to back down.

"Come. Say hello to her. You're not afraid, are you? You will see her often from now on. I already introduced Hugh when you were sleeping this morning."

Lost in his thoughts, he had remained still, and Princess Rhaenerys had seized the opportunity to tease him. Ulf smiled and approached the child.

"I know it's not wise to approach a dragon suddenly unless you want to become their meal, that's what mother told me. Honestly, that's not how I would like to leave, m'lady."

Princess Rhaenerys laughed. "It's more dangerous to get too close to me in this case. Vaekar is very protective of me."

"In that case, I fear I'm already dead."

Princess Rhaenerys laughed, a rare sight, if Ser Beor' words were correct.

"Give it a try. Worst case scenario, I'll have to find another squire for Ser Torrhen."

"I sense deep regret in your voice, princess. I thought you had nobler intentions when you invited me here."

Princess Rhaenerys shrugged. Ulf shook his head and reached out to Vaekar's muzzle. The dragon snorted, flooding him with hot air, but did nothing else to prevent him from touching her. When he laid his hand on her scales, Ulf felt like he was touching a living flame. He wouldn't be able to maintain contact for as long as Princess Rhaenerys did, but for the first moments, it was a nice feeling. Not only because he had just become one of the few non-Targaryens to have touched a dragon, but mainly because Vaekar was, in a sense, giving him her blessing to accompany her rider.

Princess Rhaenerys stared at the two for a few seconds. Then she turned her back to him and mounted Vaekar's back, riding the dragon's back as if she were the embodiment of the Maiden and the Warrior.

Ulf took a step back, giving her room to take off, but she stopped him.

"Have you ever touched a cloud, Ulf the White?"

"No, princess. I've never been allowed to climb so high."

"You are allowed now. Come up."

Ulf looked at the saddle and the dragon, puzzled. "Princess Rhaenerys, are you sure we can both fit up there?"

"Of course. I once flew with my sister Helaena and another with Aemond, and neither of us crashed to the ground."

Ulf let out a laugh. "Very reassuring," he said. He still had the slender physique of a child, being a few years older than the eigth-year-old princess, but he decided that dying after touching the sky wouldn't be so terrible. Better than becoming ash, undoubtedly. He climbed onto Vaekar, who let him do so without any trouble, and settled in the saddle behind Princess Rhaenerys. The space was plenty, the intricate leather saddle was for an adult rider and a passenger, but two children were in their place. Nonetheless, he positioned himself in a way to minimize the risk of falling.

"Are you ready for your first flight?" Princess Rhaenerys asked, tightening the reins as Vaekar rose, preparing for imminent departure.

Ulf smiled and gripped the saddle. "Yes, Princess."

Vaekar flapped her wings, and in moments, all three of them were flying in the clear sky of that morning. Ulf held his breath, feeling the wind hitting his face much more intensely than when he rode on horseback. He dared to glance down, surprised to see how small the capital looked from that height.

"Ser Beor mentioned the Princess loves flying, I'm beginning to understand why," he yelled, even though Princess Rhaenerys was right in front of him.

"It's liberating, isn't it?" she replied, turning her head to look at him with the corner of her mismatched eye. "Up here, there are no rules or duties. It's just me, free to have fun and explore the world."

Ulf felt a little squirmish. "Can I ask you a question, Princess?"

She laughed, "You already did!"

Ulf smiled and asked, "Is that what you desire? To travel on your dragon's back forever?"

Princess Rhaenerys smiled, and for a moment Ulf glimpsed a flash of nostalgia in her eyes. "It would be a dream. But I'm Princess Rhaenerys, daughter of the King Viserys Targaryen. I cannot do such things on a whim."

The ground beneath them grew smaller as Vaekar flew beyond the clouds. She shouted a command at Vaekar, "Vēzot!"

"As you say, princess," he told her. He reached a hand over the dragon's back, and his fingers brushed against one of the fluffy clouds surrounding them. They flew for hours, from King's Landing to Dragonstone and back again.

Once the Dragonpit was in sight, Princess Rhaenerys spoke a word to Vaekar, "Embrot!" who began to descend towards the ground.

"Tegot! Vaekar! Tegot!" She repeated once they arrived on the hill. Ulf dismounted first and then as Ser Torrhen had instructed him and Hugh, he extended his hand to help the princess dismount. She took his hand and made a small jump down.

"Fun?" She asked while removing her gloves. He vigorously nodded with a big smile.

They walked towards the carriage where Ser Beor, Ser Torrhen and Hugh awaited them, the two knights anxious as always when the princess flew with her dragon. The princess sat on the cushions with Ser Torrhen's help, while the two knights and squires went on horseback, closely following the carriage. Far from the Dragonpit, Ulf discovered for the first time what it meant to smell like dragon.

"I think you'll need a bath before dinner," Ser Torrhen said, sniffing the sleeve of Ulf's tunic.

"I agree," Princess Rhaenerys said. He was carrying her and she rested her chin on his shoulder, giving him a mischievous look.

"But I could have some desserts first, what do you think, Ser Torrhen?"

The knight sighed, "Not before dinner," He proclaimed, "as per the queen's, your mother, orders."

Ulf could hear a small "Tch!" coming from the princess and smiled.