✷ 044: Own Good.

Start from the beginning

As time went on, she scrolled through Twitter, noticing both her and Lando being big trending topics globally at the moment. From the betrayal of a post that McLaren had published along with clips of Lando denying the rumors, she felt a rush of emotions that she wish she didn't feel.

And with a final scroll, he finally came in.

"Thalia?" He was surprised to see her, closing the door behind him as she stood up from the bed.

"What was that interview?" Thalia was quick to jump into the conversation, crossing his arms and waiting for an answer.

"What?" He tilted his head with a confused look.

"The one you were just in, why were you so defensive about being in a relationship with me?" She asked once again, with hurt in her tone. "And don't play dumb. I know you know what I'm talking about."

"Thalia, I—" Lando sighed. "You know where I stand with this, it was such a sudden question and—" He paused. "I'm not ready for any of this, what don't you understand?"

"Trust me when I say I understand you." She took a deep breath. "It's just the way you addressed it, it did not make me feel good one bit."

"You know that's not how I meant it." Lando let out a breath, taking a step closer as she backed away.

"Do you even want to be with me?" She asked as he was quick to defend himself. "Thalia, of course I do!"

"It's already practically out there, and the more you deny just makes me feel really uncertain." She replied. "I've put a lot of trust in you, I've let you in, I've let my walls down, I just don't understand why you're so afraid." She paused.

"Why does it feel like you're ashamed of me? It feels like you're just leading me on."

"I'm not!" He took a step closer with furrowed brows. "I'm doing this because I care about you!" Lando explained himself as she glanced at him for a brief moment. "It might not seem like it's for your own good, but it is. And for mine as well.... I just don't want to lose you."

"Dude, you're not gonna lose me." Thalia scoffed. "What makes you say that?"

"Fans are ruthless." Lando exhaled. "I'm really trying not to make excuses but I don't think I'm ready to have you dragged into constant hate and negativity." He took a pause. "Or us in general for that matter." His tone was slightly breaking.

"Lando." Thalia groaned into her hands. "I can handle it."

"But I can't." He argued. "That's the thing."

"Why are you trying to commit to a relationship if you're not even willing to take chances?" She asked in disbelief. "What was the point of you asking me to be your girlfriend if you can't even, Like I—" She stuttered. "I don't even know what to say because I'm just speechless right now." Her frustration was rising.

"Like trust me when I say I can handle it? I don't need you to be worried for me." She insisted. "Death threats aren't going to bother me, let alone chase me away from you."

"What's the point of us even being together?" Thalia finished.

"What?" A wrinkle in between his eyes formed as his eyebrows furrowed. "What are you insinuating?"