Chapter 12 - The Spring Admist the Winter Breeze

Start from the beginning

"Are you two really dating?"

Ah yes, of course, Rody chuckled as he rolled his eyes. Somehow it didn't cross his mind, but it also didn't surprise him either. A celebrity's love life would certainly draw this much attention from people whose job is to catch and broadcast the latest, hottest news. In fact, using this outburst of reaction as a clue, Rody would even make a guess that this guy had always kept his private life away from the world's prying gaze, or he hadn't been dating for a long time, long enough to warrant an explosion of his fans' curiosity on who this lucky person was, to the point they would do anything and everything to go digging. Or maybe, this person was with someone no one was expecting, someone that society perceived as massively behind this man's league? Whoever this man was, Rody felt bad for him and the person he was with, if it was even true he was seeing someone at all.

Vincent had always been careful with how the public viewed him, and this scene in front of Rody just solidified to him why he and Vincent had to keep their relationship away from the world's forever listening ears and observing eyes. While Vincent said he was not at all embarrassed for being with Rody, which Rody trusted, if there was anyone who knew what it was like to be popular, it would be Vincent, and this was one of his reasons for keeping their relationship private for now. Having stood in both the shining, spectacular spotlight of fame, the light that people wished they could have one day, and the shadows surrounding it, Vincent knew the extent humanity would go when it came with someone whose fame went beyond national level. Behind every compliment he received was a grit of someone's teeth, wishing him hell. Behind every clap he got was a hateful comment trying to convince everyone why he didn't deserve the place he was today. Behind every word of recognition he received was a curse on his success. And behind every handshake he made with potential business partners was a chance someone was holding a knife behind their back as they looked him dead in the eyes. That was the case for every aspect of his life, including his romantic relationships, and right now, Vincent didn't seem like he was ready to take their love out for everyone to nitpick yet, thus opting for private dates instead of going out in public together. As much as Rody had reassured him that he was absolutely fine with him revealing it one day, it would be a lie to say he didn't see where he was coming from. If the roles were switched and Rody was in his position, he would definitely do the same thing, to protect his love from experiencing the dark side of fame that no one dared speak about.

Thinking of Vincent made Rody figure he should get going and head over his place. This wasn't his business to stand around and watch.

At least, that was he thought when he turned on his heels before a woman in the crowd yelled out loud.

"Mr. Charbonneau, please hold off for a little while longer! There's still so much we've yet to know!"

Charbonneau... Vince?

Now, instead of standing from afar and observing from afar, Rody had now decided he had to get involved himself. Whipping his head back with a gasp, his feet took off and ran headfirst into the crowd, trying to get in further to confirm that he wasn't crazy and did indeed just hear Vincent's name. But if that was the case, it opened up more questions than it answered. Why was Vincent here instead of in his apartment? What did he do to warrant such a commotion? The questions the reporters and journalists were asking and their undying thirst for details of his love life could only mean one thing, and Rody had to find it out for himself, even if the answer was not what he was expecting, not today.

"I told you, I have some business to attend to and will not answer any more questions for the time being. Now if you'll excuse me-"

There was no mistaking that voice, and before Rody could stop himself, his quiet voice rung in the sea of loud questions.