Chapter 5 - Devon's Dawning Realization

Devon's POV

I can't believe my eyes. We pull into the Diner at Sparksburg to grab a burger before we go to the Alpha conference center. I feel a tug on the mate bond. First time I have felt it in three years, since the day my dad forced me to leave the meet and greet. The last day I saw the love of my life. I have searched for her ever since, but it was as if she had fallen off the face of the planet.

Stepping out of the truck, there she is, I see her through the plate glass window. She is even more beautiful than before. Like a zombie, my entire being is just focused on her. I don't even know how I got here, but I am now mere feet from her.

"Amaris?"

"Mmhmm?" I don't think she remembers me. She barely acknowledges me. She looks up at me with those freaking moss green eyes and I know I am still a goner for her.

"I biteee!" wails a toddler in a high chair with Amaris. I suddenly notice her scent. She looks back at me with her chocolate brown eyes...my eyes. Oh Goddess. My wolf confirms. That's our child. She has a head full of golden curls. Just like my hair when I was a baby. She's beautiful.

"Amaris? Can I...can I join you?" I hesitate.

"I don't see why you would want to." Amaris snaps.

"That's fair. I would probably feel that way too."

"Look, Devon." She speaks to me firmly. "I don't think we have anything we really need to discuss right now. The conversation ended years ago, when you ran out of our marital suite and never returned." She continues eating and giving our daughter bites of spaghetti. "Slow down, little one." She coos to the baby. "You are going to choke." The little girl has a bit of sass as she takes a drink out of her sippy cup and throws it down.

"Oopsie." She giggles. I grab it up and give it to her, smiling. She replies "Tank you!" Goddess she is adorable. She may have my coloring, but she is beautiful like her mother.

"Amaris." I plead.

"Why are you still here?" She snaps.

"I think we need to talk..." I indicate toward our daughter.

"Devon. You are about three years too late!" She snarls.

Just as I turn to talk to my team, Amaris shoots out the door with our child in her arms. I can't let her get away. I have spent three years looking for her. Not to mention that we have a child together! I chase after her and order the team to follow.

Suddenly. Amaris whips around to face me. "I am not sure what this sudden fascination with me is, but this stalking behavior has to stop." She yells. "I don't want you around me, I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to see you. What part of this are you having trouble understanding?"

"Amaris, please, let me talk to you just..."

"Leave me alone!" She screams, I look up to see a couple of wolves running toward us.

"What's the problem here, Amaris?" The older wolf asks, eyeing me suspiciously.

"John, these wolves are stalking me and will not leave me alone." She answers pointing to me and my team. I realize they must be pack enforcers as the other wolf pulls out a hand held radio and requests back up. Amaris continues, "I had to leave our meal at the diner and they have followed me all the way here."

"Listen," I address the older enforcer, "John, right? Amaris is my mate..."

"No!" She cuts me off.