Chapter Two: An Old Flame

1st of March 1504 - Château de Cognac, Cognac

Walking through the gardens of her sister's home, Filiberta of Savoy tried to ignore the cold that threatened to seep through her fur lined cloak as she pondered the situation that she currently found herself in. 

In truth, Filiberta was not sure what to make of the man that was now her husband, a man that she shared a bed with each night in hopes of producing an heir and a man that she otherwise saw so little of. 

It was a strange situation indeed, her days where no different than they were before she had been wed; she spent most of her time in her sister's household and completing her duties with great care. 

Two of her ladies followed her at a distance behind, she was never alone even when she longed for such moments that she'd had as a girl where she could slip away and find a quiet corner in which she could read. 

Now she was married, her sister had informed her that it was a must that she must act as a lady should; it would be improper for her to just disappear or be caught unattended by ladies. 

"My Lady," greeted a voice, one that Filiberta wished that she could have avoided; she slowly turned to face the man that was stood only a few feet from her behind on of the hedgerows. 

Her hands clasped together as she stared at him, surely, he would not be so sure of himself that he would approach her while she was on her walk after what they had discussed. 

It had hurt to say goodbye to him, from the moment that her sister had announced that she was to be wed to Giuliano, it had been clear that their paths might never cross again. 

"I had thought you would have returned to your studies in Paris after our last discussion," Filiberta stated, she kept her distance from him knowing that should she move closer to him that her ladies would report such things to her sister. 

Louise had already scolded her for taking an interest in him, it was an undesirable match in her opinion especially since Cristoforo had promised himself to the church. 

"I had, although I was surprised to be summoned back to the Countess' court, I had hoped to see you," Cristoforo Numai replied awkwardly, he supposed that the Dowager Countess of Angoulême had brought him back when she felt safe to do so knowing that now Filiberta was wed that nothing could happen between them.

His heart ached wishing to be closer to her, he recalled the days when they would walk through these gardens discussing poetry and the arts; it could not be denied that the Dowager Countess of Angoulême had created a court of her own that rivalled those in Italy. 

He chanced a step closer to Filiberta, his eyes offering a wary glance to the ladies that had been in her company; no doubt one or both of them were spies set to spy on her by her sister and her husband's family.

It irked him greatly that Filiberta had been married off to the lowly son of a banker instead of the grand match that she deserved. 

It was no secret that the Medici had been forced from their homes, they had been chased from Florence by republican faction that wished to free the city from their control with the help of French forces. 

It was entirely amusing to him that now the Medici sought out an alliance with the French in hopes of getting their home back. 

"Cristoforo," Filiberta warned, her eyes moving to look at the two ladies that where playing close attention to their conversation. 

The last thing that she needed right now was for her sister to harp on about her conduct, already Louise had started to drop hints that she very much expected an announcement that Filiberta was pregnant in the next few months.