Chapter 4 - Shadows from the Past

Amaris POV

Three years later

The Healing Hand is abnormally packed today. If things continue this way, Julia and I are going to have to purchase the space to the right of the shop. We became business partners two years ago.  After I graduated with honors as a certified licensed healer from the University of Sparksburg. At that time, we purchased the space to the left and expanded to include a healer's clinic.

The potions and lotions line had expanded, and it includes the shelf stable remedy for insomnia that continues to fly off the shelves. Business is booming with customers coming from miles away. My reputation for the gift of healing brings them in droves.

We also expanded up to a third floor, so now we have two spacious apartments above the shop. Julia and her mate own on the second floor, while me and my three year old daughter Devona own on the third. 

Shortly after arriving in Sparksburg, I found out I was pregnant with Devon's child. However, since I really hadn't found out much about him in the short time we were together, I really had no way to contact him. Nor did I really have a desire to put much effort into finding him. He had just abandoned me after all. We were legally bound in marriage, I had the certificate, but we had never solidified the mate bond by marking each other. For that reason, Devona and I were just left in limbo.

Following the patient out of the exam room, I gave the file to the healer tech for follow up. "Jace, that was the last patient. I am heading up to my apartment.  Is there anything you need from me before I go?" I ask as I lock the entrance and turn the sign to Closed.

"I don't have anything." Jace replies. "Have a good night."

"You as well, Jace." I stifle a yawn. The lights are off in the apothecary as I head up, so I assume Julia is back in her office, tallying up the day's sales.

I get to the third floor landing and punch in the keycode on the door. "Mamma!" I hear my three-year old daughter shriek as I enter. "Devona, my darling!" I swing her into my arms. Looking at Mrs. Clark, I ask, "Has she eaten yet?"

Mrs. Clark shakes her head. "Afraid not dear. I couldn't get her to sit still long enough to even take a bite."

"Devi!" I sigh. "How are you going to grow up to be big and strong like mamma if you don't eat?"

"Devi no hungee!" She sticks her bottom lip out, stomps her foot and crosses her arms. She is the most adorable little pup, but I can't encourage this behavior, so I stifle my chuckle.

"Devi!" I bite my lip. "We have talked about attitude!" I warn.

Her chocolate brown eyes welled up. "Sorry, mamma."

"That's better." I say as I tussle her blonde ringlets. "Why don't we go down to the diner and have a little spaghetti. I know you love their spaghetti!"

Her eyes light up! "Sketti!" Clapping her hands, she runs to the door and puts her rain boots on. "Ready!" She giggles.

She is quite the character with a personality bigger than she is. "I guess that's settled then." I clasp her hand. "Thank you Mrs. Clark. Give my regards to your mate." With that we all walk out the door, pulling it locked.

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.